Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

My M1 helmet

Article about: if you mean the stamp writing on the helmet liner webbing, i've tried my best to try and translate it, its like on page 4 of this thread. if not page three.

Default Re: My helmet

if you mean the stamp writing on the helmet liner webbing, i've tried my best to try and translate it, its like on page 4 of this thread. if not page three.

The chinstrap attaches to the steel pot (which you don't yet have).

Your helmet liner is an essential part of the whole contraption and could be worn on its own (e.g. by military police), but not in combat, as it obviously isn't bullet/splinter-proof.

The steel pot has no fabric etc. parts other than the chinstrap, so that it could be used as a washbowl or bucket, when not needed for protection.

lol patgore, i've learnt so much already since the 2nd page of posts . lol thank you anyway patgore.

The number in the first photo of these new ones is your FSN or Federal Stock Number. Most of them have a date in the FSN. Yours and I could be wrong would date from 1975 the very end of the war. Your chin straps on the M1 helmet are from Korean Era to Mid Vietnam era.

oh ok, thanks mate.

well again, the Australians, didn't help the Americans out, until like 1974-1975, until they pulled out, unless i'm wrong, so i think those dates could be correct.

Sir: The M1 Helmet as it sits on a head is actually a M1 Helmet System. It consists of 2 parts the Outer and the liner. The outer is Referred to as a Shell or Steel Pot, brain bucket, stew pot, pisspot, etc. Most folks refer to it as the M1 steel pot.

The second part is a liner made by numerous mfg'rs. It consist of a M1 shape fiber/paper outer section and the straps inside that keep it off of your head. There are also a chin strap on the liner and another on the Steel pot.

Hope this clears up the confusion a little.

A couple of dozen Diggers were in Vietnam as early as 1962, and on until 1973, then again in 1975. But most of the 60,000 who served were there in the later years.

Pg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5