Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Navy M1 with questions

Article about: Hello, I got a M1 shell from private, which was painted over in "Navy gray". Manufacturer is Ingersoll from 1965. The factory color should be OD # 319. So an early shell from this

Default Navy M1 with questions

Hello,

I got a M1 shell from private, which was painted over in "Navy gray". Manufacturer is Ingersoll from 1965. The factory color should be OD # 319. So an early shell from this company.

The chin strap fastener has the anchor symbol from North & Judd MfG Co. until 1967.

SMI or SM1 was sprayed on the front. Does that mean "Signal Man first class"?

Inside there are traces of yellow color and slight traces of red and white color.
    Was the liner painted yellow or yellow / red / white? Are there any examples?

Unfortunately, all information about the origin of the helmet is missing. Have such helmets been used on the rivers, etc. in Vietnam?

Thanks and Greetings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Navy M1 with questions   Navy M1 with questions  

Navy M1 with questions   Navy M1 with questions  

Nice lid. I don’t think it would be for signal man first class not sure what it stands for but the helmets were reused on board and would stay in that duty station and would not permanently belong to that sailor. Maybe signal man #1?
    Great job breaking the helmet down.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

If google is correct then that's spot on Signal man first class.doesn't suggest any other possible meaning,nice pot....

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    If google is correct then that's spot on Signal man first class.doesn't suggest any other possible meaning,nice pot....
    Do you have a google link? I just tried google and did not have any results to that affect, I will keep trying.

Marty

Hello

When doing research on google and Co., SMI also appears as an abbreviation for the rank of a Signal Man first class.
    Navy helmets are also known for their paintings.

The meaning of the "I SM" was not finally clarified in the Threat of the Link either.

In addition, also via search engine, you get information that e.g. Signal men first class (abbreviated as SMI) also acted as boat commanders of patrol boats in Vietnam.

Patrol Boat River Lethality in Vietnam | The Sextant

Port Charlotte man haunted by Vietnam memories | War Tales

What do you do if there are 2 signalman first class onboard , do both get a helmet with SM1? I read the articles and see the signalman 1 as signalman first class but still not confirmed by photographic Evidence.
    I’m not trying to damper the mood but I will try to help confirm or disprove your apophysis.

Marty