Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post war liner question

Article about: Hi first time I have owned an M1 but I was hoping this liner is 70s-80s. I know liner is marked as such but is liner shell correct? Many thanks Neil

?

Default Post war liner question

Hi first time I have owned an M1 but I was hoping this liner is 70s-80s. I know liner is marked as such but is liner shell correct?
    Many thanks Neil

I don't see any problems. Sweatband dated 1977.

Hunt

?

The reason I ask is that someone stated, it’s a Belgian liner shell with a US sweatband. I will post some photos of actual helmet as well later today.
    Thanks for reply.

?

?

Any input on the helmet would be a great help, it’s been suggested it’s a Parish of Vietnam or post Vietnam era, last of the M1s produced. I did buy the helmet as a Vietnam helmet at least to look at if dates are ignored on the liner band and camo cover.
    Cheers Neil

Hello,
    to the liner: no Belgian probe is guaranteed and produced by the company Consolidated Molded Plastic (CMP).
    The Sweatband is from 1977. The production data of the Liners can be found on the side of the band.

The helmet is made from WW2 production and exploded in the 1950s in OD # 7.

The chinstraps were addes to the helmet at the end of the 1950s or 1960s.

The helmet cover is from 1974.

From looking at the shell is a postwar make euro produced Helmet with a US made airborne liner judging by the mold stamp is that of "the consolidated molded plastics company"however there is no production figures on Airborne only Infantry having two contracts issued in 1975/76.

Helmet is a euroclone. Chinstraps are definitley belgian by the look of it. Helmet paint looks belgian too. What does the heatstamp look like?

Hunt

Your shell looks very interesting. Are these bales feet (holder feet) rounded? Never seen that before! Can you post more images of the bales, the ring holder and how they are attached to the helmet? Looks very interesting. Always looking to expand my little quick shell identification guide based on bales.

Here is my little rough guideline to M1 Shell identification based on bales only. Think of the bales (the loop ring holder) as having three feet, a middle and two turning left and right.

If the middle foot is on the inside, it is either:

- A US M1 shell, in which case the shell will also have a stamped heat/lift number. Can sometimes be hard to see/find, especially if repainted several times. The stamped number can be weak made to begin with. Non-magnetic.
    - A Southeast Asia clone prior to 1955, - good chance Diaward Steel works (Hong Kong) or of Thai make. Nearly for sure it will be magnetic, all of it, shell, rim, bales.
    - A Euro clone by Dutch VB (Verblifa). Very likely there will also be stamped VB+year+lot on the inside of the rim. Non-magnetic.
    - A euro clone post about 1975, likely of German LS (Linnemann-Schnetzer) make. Good chance also stamped LS on the inside of the rim. Non-magnetic.

If the middle foot is on the outside, it is either:

- A euro clone of German LS (Linnemann-Schnetzer) make, pre-1975. Will be black Ink stamped (LS+year, after 1958 also + lot no.) in dome or rim stamped with LS+year+lot (after 1962 LS+lot+year). Ink stamps can be very hard to read to begin with. Non-magnetic.
    - A euro clone of German VDN (Vereinigte Deutsche Nickel-Werke) make. Rim stamped or ink stamped, VDN+month/year or VDN+year/month. Non-magnetic.
    - A euro clone of Belgium UMAL (Usine Métallurgique Aluminium et Métaux Légers) make. White or yellow ink stamped UMAL+ month/year. Non-magnetic.
    - A Southeast Asia clone post 1955, - good chance Diaward Steel works (Hong Kong) or of Thai make. Nearly for sure it will be magnetic, all of it, shell, rim, bales.
    - A euro clone of Austrian U.SCH (Heinrich Ulbrichts Witwe, Schwanenstadt) make. Can also be stamped only US, U.s or U. White ink stamped U.SCH + year or post 1970 rim stamped with LOT+month/year or U+year/month. Ulbrichts clones have a very sharp bend to the outside middle leg, producing a sharp about one cm little line, just beneath the loop ring.

If the middle foot is square and just about the same size as the left and right feet, which are rounded:

- A Southeast Asia clone prior to 1952, made by Diaward Steel works (Hong Kong). The shell will be magnetic, all of it, shell, rim, bales. The loop ring is significant smaller in size.