Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?

Article about: From what I able to gather, these helmet covers were never issued and were only used in Natick Labs Trials in the early 80s. Also does anybody have anything similar or any info on these cove

Default Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?

Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?Prototype Six Color Desert M1 Helmet Cover?

From what I able to gather, these helmet covers were never issued and were only used in Natick Labs Trials in the early 80s. Also does anybody have anything similar or any info on these covers?

Also another thing to add is that ive seen and I own an export version of these covers, or so I assume, its pretty much the same thing but with out the markings on the inside.

These and the OD covers don't have a ton of information on them, the markings are interesting but I don't think anyone has determined if marked ones were the actual prototype covers from the 70's. There's a thread on USMF on them but it basically states what you probably already know. They are great looking covers though!

"Choc-chip" covers. - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Here's one I found in the early 80's ERDL reversible & not marked. It was unissued, just didn't survive well in my teen years!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 04-24-2021 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added pics

Hey thanks for replying, shame about there not being a lot of info out there about these covers, guess it just one of those things will have to find out more in the future!

Also interesting cover you got there René, its almost like a mitchell cover, thanks for adding it!

Quote by FatherAirman View Post
    Also interesting cover you got there René, its almost like a mitchell cover, thanks for adding it!
    Cheers Jett, I should add that yours is 82 dated.

Just a little history on the my cover's travels in the time, if I may?

Had a M1 (AUST MK II was first) since I was very small (I blame the film "Battle of The Bulge" for that one!)
    This cover was found in a disposals store in the CBD here in Melbourne with me being an 11 yr old with Mum on tow!! (Thanks Mum)

I aged the thing by leaving out in the sun, ok leaving it outside on a pole! to make it like.... well ....used!

The graffiti was done by my ex-girlfriend in protest to the Gulf War 1991. Here there was a massive march (I actually wore this at the protest (hey I got the girlies) and some punk hippy took it off me! nuff said there) sorry for the brackets!