Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Schlueter Helmet Shell Advice on Finding

Article about: Many years back I picked up a rear seam m1 off eBay. It was a gem,with chin straps still bar tacked and original WW2 liner. It had tape marks on it from holding a cover I believe. The clown

?

Default Schlueter Helmet Shell Advice on Finding

Many years back I picked up a rear seam m1 off eBay. It was a gem,with chin straps still bar tacked and original WW2 liner. It had tape marks on it from holding a cover I believe. The clown I bought it from sent me a Vietnam liner not the correct type. As I was young I feel he conned me and new he could sell the liner for more. I stupidly sold the shell off to a Spanish buyer ten years ago a shave always regretted it!

Now as I get back into collecting (been out for years) I'm after a Schlueter shell. I've got a lovely front seam McCord,but wondered if you could please advise me on the rough estimate of a Schlueter (front or rear seam) and does not have to be a mint example.

I know valuations do not go here,but I don't want to get stung if I find a shell. I'm watching a couple on US eBay,but with shipping and import they are steep! My original cost me about £25! I sold it for £45 (fool!)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BAWSS; 10-28-2020 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Make post reason clearer

If i was after a nice front seamed fixed bale Schlueter with original straps i would expect to pay around £120/150 thyese are becoming harder to find, rear seamed swivel maybe around £80/90 for a good one.

?

Thank you for your input and advice. I greatly appreciate it!

?

Schlueter Helmet Shell Advice on FindingSchlueter Helmet Shell Advice on FindingSchlueter Helmet Shell Advice on Finding

Comments welcomed.

I've come across this helmet and have a couple of questions, it's front seam,swivel bale with a heat stamp of 396A. Am I correct in thinking it could well be a Schlueter as a McCord of this stamp would possibly be a fixed bale early example? I know the S is the normal sign,but sellers aren't too good at knowing what to show! The seam appears to have two circular spots to hold it,not oval like a McCord.

Please excuse photos,but hopefully they show enough.

Firstly,is the liner the early Vietnam type please?
    Secondly,are the J hooks,both on the same strap a modification to make a WW2 shell fit the new bill.
    Thirdly,the buckle has traces of green paint,would this be part of the production?

Thank you in advance

pictures are not great, however yes you are on the right track.
    It is worth using the search button there are hundreds of threads about M1 lids with detailed pictures and answers, another helpful link.
    What to Look for When Buying a WWII M1 Helmet (Beginner's Guide)

Hello,
    the helmet looks a bit put together.

The inner helmet is a pattern 1964 with rat damage. The net is made of synthetic fiber?
    The chinstrap doesn't seem ok either. The buckle is definitely from the 1950-1960's.
    greetings