MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Article about: Shell stamps of Canadian R.J. Stampings of Smith Falls Ontario and Parish Division of the Dana Corporation in Reading PA, USA. I can truly say I am confused about stamps of the above two M1

Default Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Shell stamps of Canadian R.J. Stampings of Smith Falls Ontario and Parish Division of the Dana Corporation in Reading PA, USA.
    I can truly say I am confused about stamps of the above two M1 shell producers. Having never owned either, and cannot find one that is 100% from one or the other, at least not showing the stamp and other characteristics. There is numerous stamps out there, in different fonts and sizes, going as one or the other or sometimes both. I have a hard time believing that either suddenly changed font and/or size, but that might just be the case. That or there might be other companies than just the above two in this confusion.

Images I have used as illustrations are found all over the net, including from this forum. My apologies if I “stole” your image, just using them for illustrations purposes, trying to learn something.

Possible Parish Division
    I am led to believe this is the Parish Division of the Dana Corporation stamp, but not sure. Stamp is easy recognizable with its smooth bending numbers partially note the number 3-5-6 and 9. See how they smoothly curve. While not the same font or size as WW2 Parish stamps, it has some similarities. Parish WW2 stamps also has smooth curves in the font. The stamp is always four numbers, preceded by zero if less. Like 0514. Stamp are usually found under the brim, somewhat lower down than a Mccord or Schlueter WW2 stamp. They are upside down compared to these. Numbers looks around 6-7mm tall and 3-4mm wide (a Mccord WW2 letter/number is around 10mm tall and 5mm wide)
    Of other characteristics I have noted; the rings of the movable loops appear to be slightly larger than WW2 and the holder of the loop ring, the middle section, looks not really fully flatten to the shell side – but this can sometimes also be noted on other shells. Holders are attached 3-4mm from the rim, suggesting at least post-1960 make. Both stainless steel and manganese rims. Rear seam.
    Here are some examples.
    Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?
    Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Possible R.J. Stampings
    This is what most people recognize as R.J. Stampings stamps. A three-digit number. Size is about the same as the above Parish, 6-7mm tall and 3-4mm wide. Usually they are upside down compared to Mccord WW2, but not always. Like the above, the number is found under the brim somewhat lower down than WW2 Mccord. The font is however distinct different to the above Parish (presumed). No smooth bending curves of the numbers. Loop holders are attached 3-5mm from the rim, suggesting at least post-1960 make. Looks like only stainless steel rims. Rear seam.
    Here are some examples.
    Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Assuming these two above are indeed Parish and R.J. Stampings, here are some other that are definitely not the same font and/or size. These will at various times also be presented as Parish and R.J. Stampings stamps.

Possible Mccord 1965.
    A big stamp, size of a WW2 Mccord stamp. The numbers look similar to the Mccord style, like a mix of Mccords WW2 and Korea style. Shells look “older”, however loop holders are attached 2-4mm from the rim, suggesting at least post-1960 make. Stamps seems to be located in the front anywhere between the two loops, like WW2 stamps. Only seen four-digit numbers. Looks like manganese rims. If I had to call this one, I would say this is a Mccord stamp, possible the 1965 contract. Either that or someone have reused Mccord stamps.
    Here are some examples.

Possible R.J. Stampings again?
    Another stamp of unknown producer. Show’s similarities to the three-digit R.J. Stampings stamp, and if it was not for the fact that it is a four-digit number, with zero in front, if less, it could have been continuing R.J. Stampings above 1000. However, it is a four-digit number with a zero in front if less than 1000. Loop holders are attached 5mm from the rim, suggesting at least post-1960 make, but more likely 1970’s. Looks like manganese rims. R.J. Stampings produced shells something like 1970-1977. Maybe this is a “second run” by R.J. Stampings?
    Here are some examples.
    Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Here are two other stamps I cannot place into any of the above?
    Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Many stamps, not enough solid information

Great info indeed love your passion you've done what i always wanted to do so good on you.!!!
    It was always widely excepted that small fonts Parish large fonts RJ Stampings.stainless rim always associated with the later that was until last week when i came across a thread on the USMILITARIA/FORUM where Parish shells we're shown exhibiting S/S/ rims so that kind of throws thing a bit.as for McCords two post-war contracts 1951/1965 the 'M' prefix was used in front of the heat treatment number.like you said there's such a lack of info across the board on this stuff even the colour is out by what's been said but that's another discussion all by itself.!!! just remembered apparently the size of the rim spot welds are differant size/shape to each other.good thread regards Jake...

Hello,

In my experience, the attachment of the chinstrap eyelets can be assigned to an M1 shell rather than a manufacturer.

Every manufacturer has small peculiarities that work like a fingerprint.

You could take a picture of all of these attaching your pieces in question.
    I do not have a JR Stampings shell because it is too late for my collection focus.

I'll show you my observations.

MC-Cord 1:

The production between 1951 and 1958, which is marked with "M-xxxx", has mostly a reinforcement whose middle tongue is triangular with a pointed tip. The middle piece does not end flush either, but is a little longer than the outer ones.
    The welding points have small round markings, which are sometimes better and sometimes worse to see.
    At the overlapping places there are grooves (marked by the arrows).

Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.? Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

MC-Cord 2:

Very few MC cord shells that I have seen so far, which are marked with "M-xxxx", have a rounded middle tongue instead of the blunt triangular middle tongue. This rounding can also be found with all other manufacturers who produced in the 1960's. We may have one of the MC Cord shells from the 1965 production here.

Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.? Shell stamps of R.J. Stampings, Parish Division, and Mccord 1965 etc.?

Motorwheel:

This company is said to have supplied MC-Cord as a subcontractor between 1951 and 1953 and stamped their shells MWAxxx. The findings of the chinstrap support support this thesis. The brackets correspond to those of the MC-Cord shell, which indicates that the products from Motorwheel were completed by MC-Cord.

Ingersoll:

Here I have differentiated between the shells with I and 1. In principle, they have the same marks.
    The middle tongue is round and ends flush with the outer tongues. The welding points are marked with a circle, which can be seen more or less clearly.
    The places where the tongues overlap have no grooves or edges but are very soft.

Parish:

With this manufacturer's seller I found two slightly different types.
    The shells from Parish with the 4-digit number have a chinstrap eyelet holder with a rounded middle tongue, which is slightly shorter than the other two and is therefore not flush at the bottom.
    The overlapping areas show white grooves and edges. Otherwise, the locations of the welding points are also marked here with slightly larger and deeper circles.

I would assign all of the shells you showed with the 4-digit numbers to Parish.

Lovely bit of analysis gentlemen.

Cheers for this Fellas