Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual liner markings.

Article about: Hi guys haven't posted in a while but wanted to share this with you.think it's fair to say as Mark Reynosa's book was published some 20 years ago many questions have arisen since.so here we

Default Unusual liner markings.

Hi guys haven't posted in a while but wanted to share this with you.think it's fair to say as Mark Reynosa's book was published some 20 years ago many questions have arisen since.so here we have a P64 type 2 AB nylon/combat Liner,but here's the thing according to the records this contract was issued to Marmac industries and its the only contract listed with a 7 dec 1965 date,but as you can clearly see there's no large ink number stamping after the DSA info on the webbing which has always been associated with all Marmac produced liners also check the mold stamp its a number again something very seldom seen,i posted this to another site i'm on and a member sent a link to the USMF and there's the exact same contract and mold but a type 1 infantry liner,so it's impossible to say is this indeed a Marmac liner?or something else,also why the mold numbering system?never seen it on any other p64 liners whether nylon or cotton types,anyway food for thought and hope you enjoy yet another little mystery with the M1 Helmet collecting world.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual liner markings.   Unusual liner markings.  

Just an update since starting this thread a few years back i've managed to find a bit more out but there's still limited information around,so this was discussed back in 2013 on USMF showing exactly the same liner in both Infantry type 1 and Airborne type 2.
    So according to Mark Reynosa the first contracts we're issued to Marmac industries in March 1964 and Firestone in july 1964.
    now interestingly enough it wasn't uncommon to issue multiple contracts to different companies but actually give them both the same date.In Mark's book it shows a Marmac liner which had a orange resin colour showing this date of 7th december 1965 but had like all Marmac liners the large ink number stamped after the DSA contract info was,but this example being shown here A- doesn't carry that large prefix number and B-the liner being green which is very close to the firestone nylon liners of 1967 which is by far the most common found.so my conclusion is that despite contracts being issued in 1964 i personally don't think full scale production went ahead until 1965 now assuming this is one of those first nylon p64 liners produced by Firestone that may explain the number stamped in the crown rather than the "F" logo.don't know exactly how many we're produced in this format but there are a few examples around including the ones shown on the original 2013 thread.but it's an interesting discussion and of course this is only my opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual liner markings.   Unusual liner markings.  

Unusual liner markings.   Unusual liner markings.