Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a US WW2 Helmet liner?

Article about: Hey all, My daughter found this in a home she purchased. Just wondering if this is a WW2 or maybe a Korean war helmet liner. The inside of the liner appears to be stamped CAPAC and I also fo

?

Default Is this a US WW2 Helmet liner?

Hey all,
    My daughter found this in a home she purchased. Just wondering if this is a WW2 or maybe a Korean war helmet liner. The inside of the liner appears to be stamped CAPAC and I also found some markings on a strap. Any idea what the insignia on the side of the liner stands for? From doing a quick online search the front insignia appears to indicate staff Sergeant, or am I incorrect. Pics below.

Thank you

Jr

Sorry about the 3rd party picture hosting, uploading now.

Last edited by Junior; 03-18-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Welcome to the forum. Yes is is a WWII era liner.
    FYI This forum does not allow third party picture hosting. Please upload pics in the thread for future users to see.
    John

?

Thanks John.

Junior,

This is a nice helmet liner. Based on the decal which is barley visible and the blue band around the rim of the liner this Staff Sergeant was most likely Training Cadre at an installation that conducted Basic Combat Training.

The decal is that of the current TRADOC (Training and Doctrine Command). During World War 2 and the Korean War the command was known as the Replacement and School Command. This name changed to TRADOC in 1973 and oversees training for all Soldiers and is also responsible for all Army Doctrine which is written (Field Manuals, etc).

I have attached an image of what the decal would look like.

The blue band around the helmet again signifies Training Cadre and this Staff Sergeant may have been an instructor on the various weapons ranges and other tactical ranges. I have seen similar images in Basic Training Graduation Books that show the range cadre wearing helmet liners like this one that were part of the cadre.

Basic trainees would also wear helmet liners but they would not have any distinguishing marks on them like the rank or decals.

A very nice and intact helmet liner with all straps and webbing.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this a US WW2 Helmet liner? 
    Last edited by Rakkasan187; 03-18-2022 at 11:44 PM.

?

Smitty, very interesting. I must have been looking in the wrong places online as I could not find the decal you posted. So is it a WW2 liner reissued for TRADOC in 1973?
    Pretty cool liner to have.

Thanks

Jr

Junior,

It is a WW2 era liner that was used up through Vietnam. The decals that are on this indicate it was used most likely in the late 50's to early 60s.

The reference to TRADOC being renamed from the Replacement and School Command in 1973 would not indicate this helmet liner was used in 1973, It could have been but more likely earlier in the 60's.

WW2 era helmet liners like the one you have here were repurposed numerous times after WW2. Many of the liners if they were in good condition were repurposed and new webbing and head harnesses were placed in the liners. Those that could not be repurposed were used in training environments like basic training and advanced individual training. This is not the case with your liner, as it still retains the snap type nape strap (the part that fits against the nape of the neck). After Korea the M1 helmet liner went through some upgrades in the way the head harness and webbing was installed. Buckles were added inside the liner and the nape strap was a three strap piece of cloth that was attached through the buckles.

When the Kevlar helmet was introduced to the Army in the early 80's the M1 helmet and liner was retired from military service, but it took some time to get the kevlar helmets to all Active Duty units and then Army Reserve and National Guard units so it was not uncommon to see the M1 helmet and liner still being used by some troops into the later 80's and very early 1990s.

Hope this helps

Smitty

?

Yes, it sure does help. I'm happy to have it. I'm sure it will blend in nicely with my 1998 cmp M1D Garand. Wish I could display them both in my LR but I'm sure it will eventually disappear,

Very helpful info. And a great forum.

Jr

Congratulations on the find
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

tank destroyer, Thank you

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Junior,

It is a WW2 era liner that was used up through Vietnam. The decals that are on this indicate it was used most likely in the late 50's to early 60s.

The reference to TRADOC being renamed from the Replacement and School Command in 1973 would not indicate this helmet liner was used in 1973, It could have been but more likely earlier in the 60's.

WW2 era helmet liners like the one you have here were repurposed numerous times after WW2. Many of the liners if they were in good condition were repurposed and new webbing and head harnesses were placed in the liners. Those that could not be repurposed were used in training environments like basic training and advanced individual training. This is not the case with your liner, as it still retains the snap type nape strap (the part that fits against the nape of the neck). After Korea the M1 helmet liner went through some upgrades in the way the head harness and webbing was installed. Buckles were added inside the liner and the nape strap was a three strap piece of cloth that was attached through the buckles.

When the Kevlar helmet was introduced to the Army in the early 80's the M1 helmet and liner was retired from military service, but it took some time to get the kevlar helmets to all Active Duty units and then Army Reserve and National Guard units so it was not uncommon to see the M1 helmet and liner still being used by some troops into the later 80's and very early 1990s.

Hope this helps

Smitty
    The 3 strap nape bands did not appear till 1964 with the new M1964 M1 helmets along with the newer P64 liners which replaced the chin strap posts with buckles and the rear nape band was replaced with another buckle. Another thing to note is the P64 liners like the M1964 M1's were shorter in height versus the original M1 Liners and helmets. And with the old M1 helmet liners they went through a few changes over the years WWII had OD3 suspension and brass grommet on the rank hole and the snap on nape strap was a one piece of cloth with snaps made in Small Medium and Large sizes. Later on in the war everything was the same but everything was OD7 and sometime between 1944-1951 the brass grommet disappeared from the rank hole in the liner and then the snap on Nape band was changed from one piece to two piece adjustable. Now sometime in the Mid-50's the liner would see another change a very minor one to be precise with the deletion of the rank hole in the liner completely while the interior of the liner remained unchanged. Around 1964 or 1965 is when the entire M1 helmet and liner assembly as a whole gets a major redesign to be more squatter and wider in diameter to maintain a lower profile silhouette. I hope this was somewhat informative.