Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

USMC M1 helmet + cover?

Article about: Evening Gentlemen, not being an expert on the M1 in any respect I thought I would run this one past you for opinions. It is a front seam fixed bale with tan liner fittings and chinstrap, so

Default USMC M1 helmet + cover?

Evening Gentlemen, not being an expert on the M1 in any respect I thought I would run this one past you for opinions. It is a front seam fixed bale with tan liner fittings and chinstrap, so that indicates to me that it is a good WW2 vintage helmet. The cover I also think is a good original piece, but is that huge USMC crest to the front correct? And what are those serial numbers stamped along the side all about? Any thoughts are most appreciated, especially those telling me I am "way off"!! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet + cover?   USMC M1 helmet + cover?  

USMC M1 helmet + cover?   USMC M1 helmet + cover?  

USMC M1 helmet + cover?   USMC M1 helmet + cover?  

?

Is this the same helmet Leon? (on page 3, if not it's an explanation of the yellow stencil on page 2).

EGAs on USMC covers during WWII - Page 3 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Regards,
    John

Hi John, I cannot see the images as I am not on that forum, but reading the reply's it appears highly likely that it is the same helmet and that the Marine badge to the front is a later addition and not standard form as I suspected. A shame really as if the cover had been left alone it would look much better in my opinion. Thanks, Leon.

?

Here are the photos Leon - Ega's were added to covers post war, but it is still a good looking set.

USMC M1 helmet + cover?

USMC M1 helmet + cover?

USMC M1 helmet + cover?
    Regards,
    John

Hi John, it sure looks like the same helmet, the only difference I can see is that the leather chinstrap has been broken or replaced since the images you have shown. Thanks for making the effort to post up those images, most interesting. Leon.

Very nice early set you picked up Leon............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Very nice early set you picked up Leon............
    I have not bought it mate, was just interested in it as the Marine stencil to the front looked a bit OTT! A very nice lid that I appreciate and if you are interested it is on CS MILITARIAS site, but be prepared, it is £525! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I have not bought it mate, was just interested in it as the Marine stencil to the front looked a bit OTT! A very nice lid that I appreciate and if you are interested it is on CS MILITARIAS site, but be prepared, it is £525! Leon.
    Ok Leon,slightly OTT on price.!