Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam War period US M1 Ingersoll

Article about: Hi All, I acquired this US M1 a while back, having been tryng to find a nice 60s example for a while. the condition of the whole helmet is un-issued so virtually mint & all 1964-7 made,

Default Vietnam War period US M1 Ingersoll

Hi All,
    I acquired this US M1 a while back, having been tryng to find a nice 60s example for a while. the condition of the whole helmet is un-issued so virtually mint & all 1964-7 made, components.
    The shell is an Ingersoll I-4461 (stamped to front inner dome), with it's original fitted chinstrap, marked with the 'anchors' on the hardware, manufactured by North & Judd the painted finish on the shell is beautiful, just a few storage marks.
    The liner is the P64 type & is dated 29th July 1964 DSA 1 4794 marked, the seller seemed to think it was a Firestone but there is no F mark in the crown, but I did find this thread, the liner being identical to mine Trials Pilot liner Vietnam War 1964 , again the painted finish is lovely.
    The nape strap is original to the liner, headband is 65/66 dated & the Mitchell cover wass made by Capitol Fur Inc. & the thicker twill type, manufactured for one year 66-67, the foliage band is an unmarked type.
    I had been trying to find a used example, but the Ingersolls I came across all had stress cracks which I was trying to avoid & I also thought, given the long use of the M1, re-issued etc.. I'd go down the 'unissued' route.....& found this beauty.
    Cheers All
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam War period US M1 Ingersoll   Vietnam War period US M1 Ingersoll  

Vietnam War period US M1 Ingersoll   Vietnam War period US M1 Ingersoll  

Congratulations Paul it's absolutely fantastic

Regards
    Santi

Thank you so much Santi you're a gentleman & glad you like it, been on my radar a long while !
    Paul

Getting harder to find them in such minty condition nowadays on our side of the pond. Very nice addition.

Thanks Blackcat, that' was exactly the problem !
    Cheers
    Paul

As we discussed it's just pure quality all the way.top shelf example for sure and would struggle to ever find a better Nam set,well done again Paul on getting this.

Spot on Jake, appreciate your help mate ! Really chuffed to own this & I meant to say, that it was down to the many informative threads that I read here on WRF, that gave me the detailed information I was looking for, thank you to the members here for sharing their examples ! It seems, with research & perseverance....fate steers you & .....bingo !
    Cheers
    Paul

Paul,
    I’m glad you pulled the trigger and picked up this fine example.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you Marty....took a long while to find the right one !
    Regards
    Paul