Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet

Article about: The helmet is named to: Lt. Col Enoch J. Scalan 35th Division 134th Infantry Regiment 1st Batt. HQ XII Corps Provost Marshal The Helmet is a Fixed Loop McCord with a early inland liner. The

Default Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet

The helmet is named to:
    Lt. Col Enoch J. Scalan
    35th Division
    134th Infantry Regiment 1st Batt. HQ
    XII Corps Provost Marshal

The Helmet is a Fixed Loop McCord with a early inland liner. The liner has some initials on the webbing and are different from the Lt. Col but the wear pattern on the liner matches the inside of the helmet and the dent in the top of the helmet matches the markings on the top of the liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet   Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet  

Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet   Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Now that's a helmet, very nice!

Lt. Col Scalan as Provost Marshal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet  

?

Love the camo on that one Marty.
    Excellent addition.
    Semper
    Phil

Officer’s from the regiment with the same camo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet  

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Now that's a helmet, very nice!
    Than you it’s a great example

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Love the camo on that one Marty.
    Excellent addition.
    Semper
    Phil
    Thanks Phil, it’s a break from my norm but I have a few Chaplain items coming.

MAP
    ?

I can now more clearly see the camo on the period photos.

A winner Marty. Never ever see helmets like this come up for sale. Don't let guys like me try to pry it from your hands
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a fantastic example of the type and one with great provenance too!

I don't recall seeing such a pattern on an M1 before but from the photos this is clearly not a "one off"

The subject of the original owners' role is fascinating too and a subject often overlooked by those in the hobby despite being so crucial to any military force (a bit like the Chaplaincy I suppose in that regard!) and a very historically important one too.

The office of Provost Marshal is first noted formally in England in 1511 with Sir Henry Guyldford the first official Provost Marshall but the history goes back further to the Norman Conquest of Britain circa 1066 I think.

In 1629 The Articles of War of King Charles the First of England decreed;

"The Provost must have a horse allowed him and some soldiers to attend him and all the rest commanded to obey and assist or else the Service will suffer,

for he is but one man and must correct many and
    therefore he cannot be beloved.

And he must be riding from one garrison to another to see the soldiers do not outrage nor scathe the country."

Very perceptive words still almost 400 years later!

I know the thread is about this particular helmet but background info is part of the enjoyment I believe and I would love to know more about this officer especially if you have any more items from him.

Thanks for showing

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-26-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank’s Mark,
    Not sure when he was the POV for the XII but I know he came home assigned to the 134th. I’m not sure if he was pulled from the 134th and then brought back.

This quote is from the 90th Division:

Nick who is a member here and on USMF as sharp eyes and pointed out the other oak leaf under the current one.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet   Ww2 Provost Marshall helmet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast