Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 USN FIXED LOOP D-DAY HELMET from USS PC-552

Article about: Hi Guys This was a local find. Bought from a man who received from the Vet himself. Once I discovered (by researching) that this helmet was on PC-552 a Patrol Craft which was the first boat

Default WW2 USN FIXED LOOP D-DAY HELMET from USS PC-552

Hi Guys

This was a local find. Bought from a man who received from the Vet himself. Once I discovered (by researching) that this helmet was on PC-552 a Patrol Craft which was the first boat off (see below) off Omaha Beach it became an instant favorite and I suddenly felt that "Awe" that we feel when holding these items....some more than others. I have never sought out any D-Day Items in particular and I never thought that the story behind this helmet would be so insane. Also that veteran Harry W Bergh was a local man and myself being a Jersey Boy it gives special significance to me.

I did a whole presentation on USMF forum which I'm not going to replicate in it's entirety here (link Below for those who want to know more) I will simply present the Helmet and a Quote about the boat it was on. There are no stripes ... no circles .... no insignias of any kind. Just a simple blue gray Navy Fixed Loop. The MSA Liner has "Bergh" written on back and its named twice inside the Pot.

Only 60 men were on Patrol Craft. Harry Wilhelm Bergh was on this ship from 1942 until his discharge in Oct 1945. Below is an excerpt by two of Bergh's crew mates on PC-552 ... They were both from Connecticut. Here's them leaving Southampton......

"We practically led the whole convoy across the Channel. The Augusta was the headquarters of the whole invasion. It was a heavy cruiser. We came alongside and they told us good luck, you're on your own." As PC-552 departed, the ship Samuel Chase said over the loud speaker, "Good luck PC-552. Take your station."Ship proceeded down the swept, buoyed channel, then to her designated line of departure at 0459B. PC-552 buoyed her line of departure for Fox Green beach, then took up station as Fox Green beach Patrol Control Craft ("PCC"). According to crew member, Bill Kesnick, "When we left, they told us, 'God bless you, 552.' They didn't expect us to come back ... "

And a Helmet Quote by same 2 Crew Members Bill Kesnick and Ted Guzda once they positioned off shore ....

The sea was still rough… Bill lost his helmet while enemy planes were shooting and shore batteries were firing. We were back to back on 20 mm guns. I emptied a bucket of sand and told him to put it on his head and all you heard was shrapnel going ping, ping, ping.

Thanks for looking
    Z

(Addl Pics are Crew Members of PC 552 ... Bergh must be one of them in the Wide shot of whole crew...also ics of the Boats launch in Brooklyn in 1942 where I took these helmet pics)

WWII USN Blue-Gray Fixed Loop M1 Helmet D-Day - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

It's not often a helmet comes with provenance like this. A great find, and one you must surely be proud of. Congratulations on a very valuable addition to your collection.

Regards, B.B.

Nice find and what a piece of history to be the guardian of.

Thanks Brodie and BlackCat! Yes. Seriously. Woke up. Saw a listing fron a local guy. “D Day” was mentioned almost as an afterthought. I rolled my eyes ... and then other things revealed themselves and I connected all the dots. I was floored. I am I. Awe. There’s so much of this “stuff” out there But sometimes a piece hits you a certain way. Thanks for the comments brothers.
    Z

A case of right place right time. Well caught.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    A case of right place right time. Well caught.
    Hopefully happens to all of us once in awhile
    Z

A lovely piece of D Day history. Congratulations on your 'find.' Great photographs and research too.

Cheers,
    Steve

Yet another gorgeous set you've managed to add to your already awesome collection it's exactly how a ww2 set should look with great patina and been there and done it,you certainly find and aquire some really amazing steel pots,congrats and well done Zach.......

Lovely helmet there Zach! ya made me pull mine out to play with!!

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Yet another gorgeous set you've managed to add to your already awesome collection it's exactly how a ww2 set should look with great patina and been there and done it,you certainly find and aquire some really amazing steel pots,congrats and well done Zach.......
    Jake ... Thank you so much man. Appreciate the kind words! I love these things so much. They mean alot to me!
    Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast