Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WWII USN FIXED LOOP SALTY OLD DOG w HAWLEY 3RD PATTERN

Article about: Hi Guys Here’s a crusty old coot I picked up. I just liked the look of it and I feel like I see less and less of these USN Fixed Loops available so I try to snap them up at auctions / esta

Default WWII USN FIXED LOOP SALTY OLD DOG w HAWLEY 3RD PATTERN

Hi Guys

Here’s a crusty old coot I picked up. I just liked the look of it and I feel like I see less and less of these USN Fixed Loops available so I try to snap them up at auctions / estate sales / etc. Also this one has its original OD3 straps Intact which is nice. Many old Navies seem to have lost / ripped one. I paired it with a salty old original Hawley as well found on eBay (my guess defintely used by kids goofing around in the 50/60s or something. Assorted holes punched through side/ writing / etc). It’s not in great shape. I made an offer. He accepted. Wasn't my best deal but wasn’t my worst. Some markings stenciled on the liner appear they could be original though. Says “Sabrina” (?) on front “Watch” on back. “St Paul” on side. Unfortunately No serial number for me to research unfortunately. All in All I think it has a great look despite condition.

The light blue steel pot has “4” painted in black and faded on front. The lot number is rusted out and unreadable. Has early raised Brass Buckle and J Hook.

I always wanted a early Navy / Hawley set and thought that these would go great together... and they do Little did I know I would find a real matching set a few days later (To be posted).

Pardon the Macro shots ...still getting used to the lens.

Thanks for looking!
    Z

Zach buddy you always pull off something a bit special to be honest had you not said anything about adding the Hawley nobody would know any different the two complement each other perfectly love the salty look of the grey paint and that Hawley looks fab I've seen a lot worse well done mate........

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Zach buddy you always pull off something a bit special to be honest had you not said anything about adding the Hawley nobody would know any different the two complement each other perfectly love the salty look of the grey paint and that Hawley looks fab I've seen a lot worse well done mate........
    Thanks Jake ... just wanted to call a spade a spade. Had an early pot with no liner ..... then an early liner with no pot so .... smack ... married 4 life now. LOL. You're righ ... a good match. Thanks for looking it over Jake !
    Z

Don't forget to post up the other set you mentioned at the start............
    Nicely taken photo's as well.

Congratulations on scoring a nice USN lid and pairing it with a Hawley liner. Don't see many Hawleys this side of the pond.

Nice pairing. I do not see many Hawleys this side of the pond either. A sad truth is I have not ever had one in hand.
    John

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Don't forget to post up the other set you mentioned at the start............
    Nicely taken photo's as well.
    I will brother .. Its a Doozle. Still en route then Im retired ... find nothing interesting for a bit than wham...3 in a row. Ill post up when it comes!

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Nice pairing. I do not see many Hawleys this side of the pond either. A sad truth is I have not ever had one in hand.
    John
    It does have "St Paul" stenciled on the side as well. Possible Minny reference John. Or maybe his name is Paul Sabrina perhaps. I will say they are extremely fragile ... cant believe guys went to war in them and that there are minty examples even available. This one will have to be stowed carefully.

Thanks guys!
    Z

MAP
    ?

This shell has been around. Certainly no shelf queen and war time used. Most probably on a tug pulling a target barge near Staten Island!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Sir I don’t know who you are. I see you only have a couple of posts here. But please don’t disrespect historical items like that
    Z

Jokes aside. This condition is what I see a lot of Navies in. Painted multiple times. Dings. Rust. Etc. As opposed to “poor storage”. I think this one saw some heavy on the (barge) boat deck