Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Schutzpolizei vs Polizei shoulder boards

Article about: These are outside of my knowledge base. I search and really do not understand Schutzpolizei vs Polizei. My basic is state polizei versus city polizei. Is that correct? The attaching tabs see

Default Schutzpolizei vs Polizei shoulder boards

These are outside of my knowledge base. I search and really do not understand Schutzpolizei vs Polizei. My basic is state polizei versus city polizei. Is that correct? The attaching tabs seem very flimsy to me but I believe to be original. The piping connecting the two sides also appears to mean something. Oberwachtmeister VS Wachtmeister??? (Officer vs patrolman?)
    Looking for confirmation if they are original items and clarification on the questions. Hard for me to tell when i usually only see the front of them in 90% of pics. My apologies for a newbie question. I should know more of the basics by now. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John

Schutzpolizei vs Polizei shoulder boardsSchutzpolizei vs Polizei shoulder boardsSchutzpolizei vs Polizei shoulder boards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schutzpolizei vs Polizei shoulder boards
    P
    Many

Hey John

The boards you show are for an Oberwachtmeister of the Schutzpolizei from 1941-1945. Prior to 1941, the board did not have the connecting braid. And yeah, like you, I think they are original.

Of the numerous different branches of the 'POLIZEI', the SchuPo were the largest and most often encountered. Protection Police (Schutz-polizei) as you rightly say, were predominantly 'city' Police. But of course, the SchuPo are infamous also for being members of Reserve Police Battalions, attached to Einsatzgruppen but that's for another day.

SchutzPolizei / SchuPo had green backing to their boards, green piping to their tunics, green sleeve eagles and the like.

Any other colour of insignia then went into the other departments eg Gendarmerie (orange), Verwaltungs (grey), Verkehr (red) and even armoured (black).

Hope this helps. I will try and add more if you have other queries.

Cheers

Jamie

That helps a lot Jamie. Much appreciated.
    John