Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Russian axe?

Article about: Greetings gentlemen, I previously posted this axe under the Axis Equipment section (it seemed appropriate!), but to no avail. It was originally sold to me as a Russian item, though I have fo

?

Default Imperial Russian axe?

Greetings gentlemen,
    I previously posted this axe under the Axis Equipment section (it seemed appropriate!), but to no avail.
    It was originally sold to me as a Russian item, though I have found absolutely no evidence to support this..
    It does, however, resemble the Imperial Russian shovels in its riveted construction, so I wonder if anyone can shed any light on it.

With my sincere thanks and very best wishes, as always,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Russian axe?   Imperial Russian axe?  

Imperial Russian axe?   Imperial Russian axe?  

Imperial Russian axe?   Imperial Russian axe?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Russian axe?
    P
    Many

?

they were used in this USA, country for cutting tobacco leaves. in the CONNECTICUT VALLEY., of CONNECTICUT. very thin and light. not for rough use. and probeally in the SOUTH, where there is a lot of tobacco.

Doesn't look like the Soviet/Russian axes I am familiar with.

Dos
    ?

Definitely not made for wood chopping. More used for farming something soft it seems. Like Toot mentions, Probably tobacco leaves.

Although those hatchets i have seen were more crudely / handmade ones.

This one has rivets, heel/knob for more grip and also has a good construction overall. I don't know if it's russian or imperial.. I like it!

Regards,

Dos

?

Thank you for the comments and thoughts chaps.. it does seem very lightweight (not for taking down a tree), but perhaps splitting kindling. It is only a short hand axe, so you’d be a fool to try it on anything too robust.. It’s lasted a while though!

It seems quite professionally made, but just such an odd shape. I keep thinking I see the remnants of markings stamped on the blade, but there are so many pits and scratches it could be anything - or probably nothing!

It is the green painted handle that makes me think it was military. I know what you mean Dos, I just liked the peculiar, archaic look of it.

Well, many thanks again,
    Bob

CSW
    ?

To me it looks like an entrenchning tool that has been converted into a light axe of some sort

?

That thought occurred to me too, but it does appear to have been purpose-built, so to speak.

The riveted blade fitting is very reminiscent of the large sized Imperial Russian engineer shovels, though I have, as yet, found no images that show an axe with such a distinctive shape. But then, it’s not easy to find images of Russian engineers!
    Not an exciting enough subject, I suppose..

Hello,

I have the very same feeling about it (entrenchning tool that has been converted into a light axe of some sort ). Blokadnik axe??

I like it!

Best regards

Gabriele

The handle does kind of remind me of a Russian entrenching tool's handle. Then the rivets kind of set off that look too. I'm going with a theater-made axe like Gabriele suggested. Whatever it really is, it looks cool as all get-out!

Certainly has the look of a blacksmith's conversion rather than a factory produced hachet. Might even been used by a butcher to split a carcase.