Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nicely engraved 1937 mess tin

Article about: Hi guys, just wanted to show my recent pickup, a well-used 1937-made Soviet mess tin that has had some decorative work done to it. The carvings include, for instance, a "red" star

CSW
    ?

Default Nicely engraved 1937 mess tin

Hi guys,

just wanted to show my recent pickup, a well-used 1937-made Soviet mess tin that has had some decorative work done to it. The carvings include, for instance, a "red" star with its appropriate tools, the name Mikhailov and the date 1940. Help with the rest of the engravings would be most welcome! Thank you very much in advance

And thanks for looking as well!

Nicely engraved 1937 mess tin Nicely engraved 1937 mess tin

Note the faint "19" that has been added in front of the original "40г".

I think the 1st one says "Память Зам". The other one is Я И П, any ideas? There is some writing and a symbol of some kind underneath, but unfortunately I can't quite decipher them.

Nicely engraved 1937 mess tin

Absolutely no clue about this last one. I also found some more short inscriptions/initials that are barely perceptible - those are a bit difficult to photograph and I decided to leave them out for now.

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nicely engraved 1937 mess tin
    P
    Many

?

I read Зам as the number 3 followed by 'am', rather than a 'Z'. I'm not familiar with a soviet military unit acronym 'AM' though.

A genitive plural ending is ruled out unless the author was bad at spelling.

As 'Михаилов' is scored out, maybe Я.И.П. was the next owner?!

CSW
    ?

Quote by Boycie View Post
    I read Зам as the number 3 followed by 'am', rather than a 'Z'. I'm not familiar with a soviet military unit acronym 'AM' though.

A genitive plural ending is ruled out unless the author was bad at spelling.

As 'Михаилов' is scored out, maybe Я.И.П. was the next owner?!
    Thanks a lot mate! That would indeed make sense, the item has obviously been through a lot and probably several owners as well. I wonder what the date 1940 might signify..?

Nice example, a messkit M1936. Manufactured in 1937 at Red Vyborzhets (Кр.Выбор - Красный выборжец) in Leningrad.
    Aksenova (Аксенова) stands for the name of the quality controller.
    It looks like the messkit has had several owners.
    The number 40 is a year. It could be the year that Mikhailov (Михаилов) joined the Soviet army.
    Я.И.П. is an initial. For me the inscription "Память Зам" is difficult to translate.
    It could be something like; in memory of 3am/zam (army unit/initial?!) or in memory of the deputy ?! (зам - заместитель). Difficult to say.

CSW
    ?

Thank you so very much for the information!