Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Army Gas Mask

Article about: I bought this one over the summer, and it's been sitting in a cupboard ever since. I've finally pulled it out and taken some pictures. Was going to use a mannequin head, but the mask is rath

Default Red Army Gas Mask

I bought this one over the summer, and it's been sitting in a cupboard ever since. I've finally pulled it out and taken some pictures. Was going to use a mannequin head, but the mask is rather fragile, though in much better condition than most!

These respirators, as a sum of their parts, were referred to as BN T-5, with BN standing for 'боевой несекретный', or 'combat unclassified' in English. In the case of the T-5 series, the mask could be either a Sh-1 or О-8 model. This particular one is an O-8. These respirators were issued starting in the 1930s, and continued in production and use throughout World War II. Various types of 'coffee can' style filters were used.

This is a nice early set, the haversack having a nice clear date of 1939 inside the flap. The filter is dated to December 1939, while the mask and hose have no visible date markings. It is reasonable to assume they were produced around the same time. As previously mentioned, it's in better condition than most. Though the mask has suffered some perishing, it remains supple and strong. The hose is flexible, and the filter is virtually spotless, even retaining its original rubber stopper.

I got exceedingly lucky with this one. All in all the whole set only cost me £95!

Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask Red Army Gas Mask

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Army Gas Mask
    P
    Many

Very nice and rare! Most soldiers threw these masks away and used the bag to store other items instead.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Very nice and rare! Most soldiers threw these masks away and used the bag to store other items instead.
    That explains why most dealers ask between €400-600 for them, though I do think that’s a little steep even with the rarity taken into consideration. When I found this one, I don’t think I’ve ever jumped on anything so fast!

B.B.

Imo most dealers overprice their items anyway. Rare or not haha
    But for 95 you have a great deal. Think I paid € 55 for just the bag (in well used/worn condition).

Imo most dealers overprice their items anyway. Rare or not haha
    But for 95 you have a great deal. Think I paid € 55 for just the bag (in well used/worn condition).
    Got it off the dealer’s website for £95, but when it turned up the bag had a price tag for £250 attached to it. That still would have been a pretty good deal, but I’m definitely not going to complain! Espenlaub have quite a few for sale, but all at crazy prices.

B.B.

Espenlaub is asking retarded prices unfortunately. They were good before but nowadays I just stay away there. I know of some items they had for sale that were first offered on the Estand on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum for just a fraction of their asking price. I know and accept that every company needs to make a profit but 500% profits is absurd. And that's why quite some items there are listed for ages without being sold.

Espenlaub is asking retarded prices unfortunately. They were good before but nowadays I just stay away there. I know of some items they had for sale that were first offered on the Estand on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum for just a fraction of their asking price. I know and accept that every company needs to make a profit but 500% profits is absurd. And that's why quite some items there are listed for ages without being sold.
    That's true. Seems to be a recent problem as well. I always remember Espenlaub being reasonable in terms of prices, even buying from half a continent away. Like all dealers, they seemed to have succumbed to the recent trend of price gouging for the sake of profits. A shame, but that's business for you.

B.B.

Steal of the year B.B what a top conditioned piece to find and a rare item at that and even more super price congrats on a great Gas mask & filter.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Steal of the year B.B what a top conditioned piece to find and a rare item at that and even more super price congrats on a great Gas mask & filter.
    Thanks! Definitely the best bargain I've ever found, and I've found many in my years trawling through the likes of eBay. Ironic that it would be a dealer that gave me the ultimate steal in the end!

B.B.