Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange container from cartridge case

Article about: Hi, I found this thing in a soviet trench among a lot of fired 7,62x54R cases. (near to Budapest, Hungary, date can be Jan. 1945) It was made from two 7,62x54R cases, the primers were remove

Default Strange container from cartridge case

Hi,
    I found this thing in a soviet trench among a lot of fired 7,62x54R cases. (near to Budapest, Hungary, date can be Jan. 1945) It was made from two 7,62x54R cases, the primers were removed. Did you see something like this before? What can be the purpose of this thing? I am not able to open it without any damage, so I do not want to. If I shake it, there is just a tiny sound, maybe a little piece of rust.
    Thank you for your help and answer in advance!
    George
    Strange container from cartridge caseStrange container from cartridge caseStrange container from cartridge caseStrange container from cartridge case

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange container from cartridge case
    P
    Many

?

Possibly an improvised ID container (?).
    A tightly rolled piece of waxed paper would be stored inside, bearing the holder’s details.

or perhaps a matches holder. Intriguing to open it up.

Probably for matches yes. Intriguing.

Sorry, but at this moment I won't want to destroy it. It remains closed. If it contains the ID tag, as I saw on the net, it is very hard job to handle the paper properly. I feel if I open it I will destroy the container and the paper too..... And if it contains matches, well, just matches. And I have got just this alone. THANK YOU FOR THE TIPS!!!! Now it is a very interesting item of my collection.

?

it looks like a match safe to me. a good use for spent cases. but the primers should be left in to keep out moisture / water.

?

It was common practice for Red Army personnel to use bullet cases to store an ID scroll, in lieu of the plastic versions, which were of limited availability. I have one such example (simply closed with the bullet head, rather than another cartridge), as well as a couple of the plastic types.
    These were carried in a uniform pocket, or even wrapped into a foot cloth.

As George points out, any such scroll will be long since decayed by now, so any attempt to open it will simply destroy it for no gain.

I don’t see that the very few matches that could fit in it would be worth the effort.
    Last edited by Kohima; 09-29-2021 at 08:25 AM.

It appears to be a Tube. When igniting Cartridge cases for Artillery they have a Primer, When igniting Bagged Charges for artillery, (Caseless charges in cloth bags) they use a Tube. It is basically a blank cartridge that is inserted into the artillery piece's breech and when fired ignites the main propelling charge located in the fabric Bag Charge.

One day I'll retire and can forget all this!

Regards,
    R

Strange container from cartridge case

Typical Quick Firing Separate artillery ammunition. The Tube is at the extreme left.

R

Dear Vegetius,

No, it is not a tube. Believe me. On the pictures you can see both ends of this thing. You can see a common 7,62x54R case bottom on the both side. If you hold in your hand, you can see the outer case edge, and it is the same length as a normal, unmodified case.Strange container from cartridge case

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast