Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Strange container from cartridge case

Article about: Hi, I found this thing in a soviet trench among a lot of fired 7,62x54R cases. (near to Budapest, Hungary, date can be Jan. 1945) It was made from two 7,62x54R cases, the primers were remove

?

vegetius, good luck! but I gotta tell ya it ain't gonna happen! we need your expertise.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange container from cartridge case
    P
    Many

I think vegetius and excdrac are both right appears to be a “tube” (we call them primers) with a 7.62x54R case inside. The primer for a 155mm is fairly straight walled and larger (but not by much) than a 7.62x54 case and I would assume a primer for the Soviet 152mm would be very similar in size. This would allow the rifle cartridge to fit all the way down but be snug enough to be pretty water tight.

excdrac,

At that period the British used a .303 in Cartridge case that was straight walled not necked down and filled with GP as a tube for several Artillery pieces. The point is that they appear the same as the Small Arms Ammunition (SAA) of that calibre but are wider at the case mouth.

Also worth knowing is that the Fuze No107 ( 2 inch toffee Apple Mortar) has a Igniter Mk 1 which is a modified .303 inch Cart containing a No6 or No8 Detonator. This crops up from time to time and is particularly dangerous. My point however is that SAA are often modified for these types of purpose.

Toot,
    Again, bugger I guess you are right!

I made some experiment and my conclusion: your opinion about his fuse thing is correct. I got two normal cases (produced in 1980s, steel), I used just simple tools, and I tried to produce a container like this. It was a total disaster.... The outer case could not be a normal one or the soldier made a lot of effort to produce this (heating, hammering out the neck of the case and so on) And I do not think he made such a big effort to produce the container....
    Strange container from cartridge caseStrange container from cartridge caseStrange container from cartridge caseStrange container from cartridge case

excdrac,

I applaud your enthusiasm, however these tubes are made in that shape during the manufacturing process. At the point where the cartridge case should be necked down prior to annealing they are left straight, this enables the best transferal of flame to the charge bags where a necked case with reduced diameter would not. I have seen them closed with cardboard, millboard, a tin closing disc and even the top folded like petals then sealed.

Remember if something is grey has floppy ears and a trunk, it is either an elephant or a mouse going on holiday. Same with what you have it looks like a tube is the same size as a tube and the base has a Berdan type primer pocket.

Regards,
    R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2