Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?

Article about: Hi guys, I'd appreciate any info./help that can be given in confirming the identity & age of an ammo tin that I recently acquired. I believe it's Russian in origin but from what I've see

Default WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate any info./help that can be given in confirming the identity & age of an ammo tin that I recently acquired. I believe it's Russian in origin but from what I've seen of similar items, most tend to have the Russian/Soviet star on them.

It's in "used" condition, looking like it's seen some service/action! I cleaned it up a bit & while doing came across a few marks/markings on the lid. There is an '18' scratched into it with what I'd describe as a horizontal, reverse 'L' underneath it. There is also a faint "V". When looking at it I can't decide if it's a letter V or the point of a star. If the lighting is right, there is what looks like part of another line running off at an angle which could be another point.

WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?

As mentioned, any info. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Russian Ammo Tin?
    P
    Many

?

Hello
    I am not experienced with these however I do know that these where for the m1910 Maxim machine gun.
    I belive each would hold a 200 or 250 round ammo belt.
    The boxes like these where used during WW1 to post WW2 with many variations.
    I have heard that the WW1 versions where riveted.
    The fact that there is no star on the side could mean that it is an earlier one or it could also be Finnish. The Finnish ones usually seemed to have an ink stamp on top with an S A however this does not always mean that it was Finnish manufactured.
    I'm sure someone here knows all about these and the variations would be able to help you better.
    If I am incorrect on any of this I would be happy to stand corrected.
    Just trying to help.

Regards,
    Daniel

Hi Daniel,
    Many thanks for the info. From what I'd found I believed it to be a Russian can for the Maxim but it's the lack of a star on the side that was throwing me. From the pictures I've found all the Russian ones seem to have a star on the side whereas the one I have just has the ribs. Re. the Finnish cans, there's no sign of an SA stamp like in the pictures I've come across. The ammo can I have is certainly "battered & bruised" so it would be great to figure out it's origins.
    ATB,
    Paul