Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Dealer pricing

Article about: is it just me or does it seem like dealers are purposely overcharging on many common items these days? I just saw a run of the mill KVK II -without- swords listed for \\$100 by a dealer well k

Default Dealer pricing

is it just me or does it seem like dealers are purposely overcharging on many common items these days? I just saw a run of the mill KVK II -without- swords listed for $100 +$20 shipping by a dealer well known to all of us. It's not even 100% mint!! 0 provenance & the only redeeming quality is that it's a marked Deschler w/ an issue envelope but even the validity of those is questioned.

It just seems to me that there are a lot of inflated prices right now especially on cloth + medals. I constantly see items listed for $25 - $50+ more than what they should be lately. A $100 KVK II without swords is a prime example of this. When these can be found for 1/2 of that price in similar condition, no way I would personally pay that price.

I see a lot of overpaid for items but mainly through auctions. There is a pent up energy in the US due to the lack of gun shows anywhere. Some dealers may realize the trend and trying to make the most of it.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    I see a lot of overpaid for items but mainly through auctions. There is a pent up energy in the US due to the lack of gun shows anywhere. Some dealers may realize the trend and trying to make the most of it.
    John
    As a businessman myself, I am 100% in favor of people making as much money as possible. I run my own business with that goal in mind. However, as a collector I hope things settle down before long. Sure, I can afford paying inflated prices but that's like buying hyped up, overvalued stocks before the stock market corrects it's self. I don't collect as an investment but I also don't want my collection to lose value.

Maybe this is the start of a new trend that will never 'correct' it's self which is actually good for us already in the hobby since our collections have gone up in value in a short period of time. It would suck for the young blood though and this hobby needs young folks. If the cost of entry is too high then less young people will get into it. I am 29 years old and as far as I can tell, there is very few of us here under 30. This forum is only a sample size of 1 but I think it's a good glimpse into the collector world given the popularity of the forum.

I don't mind paying a little more for some items but a KVKII w/o swords is a prime of example of an overvalued item. Sure, it's a nice medal but it's not an Iron Cross, Russian Front Medal, or something more highly sought after.

It may not be highly sought after now, but if you were a civilian at the time who received a medal instituted by the fuhrer himself for meritorious service in "furtherance of the war effort" - I'm sure it was a BIG thing!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    It may not be highly sought after now, but if you were a civilian at the time who received a medal instituted by the fuhrer himself for meritorious service in "furtherance of the war effort" - I'm sure it was a BIG thing!!
    I know these were for civilians but in general, as a military veteran myself, i'm not taking anything away from the meaning behind -ANY- medals for the folks who received them. Simply speaking from a collector's point of view. But yes, totally agree with you. Any of the medals we collect would be a big deal for the folks who received them!

I would say virtually all of the things we collect would have been a big deal to the folks receiving them for the first time including cloth insignia + all especially rank insignia etc.

Quote by captain20052019 View Post
    I know these were for civilians but in general, as a military veteran myself, i'm not taking anything away from the meaning behind -ANY- medals for the folks who received them. Simply speaking from a collector's point of view. But yes, totally agree with you. Any of the medals we collect would be a big deal for the folks who received them!

I would say virtually all of the things we collect would have been a big deal to the folks receiving them for the first time including cloth insignia + all especially rank insignia etc.
    Sorry, I wasn't having a dig - I should have used an emoji or two ...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I'm amazed at the prices EK1 and EK2's are going for now.

Two or three years ago you could pick up a marked EK2 for £55. I'm seeing regular EK2's going for £150 and people are buying them at that price!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Anyone who buys at the dealers advertised price must be a mug - or completely unaware of the benefits of a good old haggle over price. As for medals, the most valued in my collection... and I have well over 100... is my own Northern Ireland medal for my operational tours of duty in 1971/72 and 1974. I earned that one and wouldn't part with it for anything.

Cheers,
    Steve

Greed! We'll know which dealers to avoid when this virus situation is over, it's like shops that were inflating toilet paper and hand sanitizer prices by 400/500%. People have long memories and a few of these rip off artists have nearly gone bust.