Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

for Phil,

Article about: I thought you might find this interesting. My bosses father passed a couple weeks ago and I went the the funeral last Friday. He was a Korean war vet and they had his uniform on display. I w

Default for Phil,

I thought you might find this interesting.

My bosses father passed a couple weeks ago and I went to the the funeral
    last Friday. He was a Korean war vet and they had his uniform on display.
    I was checking out the ribbon bar and it had the normal ribbons one would
    expect but one looked out of place. To me, it looking like the Army PUC.
    But that mad no sense to me. Someone smarter than myself did some
    digging and discovered that the guy did indeed earn the Army PUC while
    serving with VMF-214. (Black Sheep Squadron) as a Navigation systems tech.

I knew the guy for 12 years and all he ever said was that he was once in the corp.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 08-25-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks Greg,
    That is very interesting. When my squadron(VMAT 102) shut down when they phased out the A4 Skyhawk in 1987. All my Avionics tech's went to VMA-214 Black Sheep to work on Harriers. (VMF was changed to VMA on July 9, 1957).
    The Black Sheep are still stationed at MCAS Yuma.
    It would be an interesting story to hear how that Marine was awarded an Army PUC??????

Semper Fi
    Phil

All I know is that he was with VMF-214 in 1950-51 while they covered the retreat
    from the Chosin reservoir.
    gregM

myself around.

update-

I was able to talk to the vet's son and daughter today and tell
    them what I had learned. they had no idea as to his awards
    or any of his service history other than that he was a Marine
    in Korea.
    gregM

myself around.

?

Thanks for the update Greg.
    I guess another vet who didn't talk about the war.
    Or lack of interest from the kid's. It happens.
    What a shame. Some great history lost there.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I was interested as a kid and loved the stories,but sometimes the details got lost because I was so
    focused on that person that told the story.

?

I have meet so many Vet's and show interest in them and also what they are showing me. Some have said "Do you want this?" Or " Here you can have it".
    When I would say "Are you sure......What about your kids?" I would be told that they are not interested in this Stuff!!!

One example.
    I was asked to look and put a value on a rifle and some swords that a navy vet brought back. He was a coxswain who ferried troops(Marines) to shore to take control of the Kokura arsenal at the end of WW2. Every man in the 7 destroyer fleet was give 2 swords and a rifle by the Admiral in charge.(Told this by Vet) His neighbor and my friend asked me to come over. I gave the estimate of the rifle(Type 44) and one sword was a shin gunto (Had grass stains on it. Vet said I cut the grass in the back yard when they get high)and the other was a nice old wakizashi. I told them that I would need to see the tang and see if it was signed by a known smith. The vet said no need and gave my buddy a smoking good deal. After my friend gave me the sword to translate. I broke out my books and did the pain staking translation. It turned out to be made my by Ume Tada Myoju. A famous maker and worth BIG BUCKS. We had it verified(Old Japanese lady he knew) to make sure my translation was correct. My buddy tells the vet about it and offers to return it. The vet said NO you keep it, you have been a good neighbor and friend to me. He asked about his kid's wanting it. He said they are not interested in this STUFF. After the Vet dies and the kid's find out that the sword was worth serious cash. THEN THEY WERE INTERESTED IN THAT STUFF!!!!!

Sad but very true!!!
    Not everybody is interested in military/history items. Just Us!!!!
    Unless its worth something. Then everybody wants a piece of it...........
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 08-30-2019 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Smith's name

Thanks Phil.
    I know that story well. I've been privileged to have known many vets
    and it amazes me as to how their kids have no interest in learning what
    dad or grandpa did in the war. I know that I have mentioned many times
    that I lived across the street from a member of Gen. Patton's staff.

I don't think that I have told this story----

When "Band of Brothers" was televised, he made a point of telling me what
    a good movie it was. So after a few years of hearing this from him, I bought
    him the boxed DVD set for Christmas. He was thrilled to be able to see it again
    but it came with a condition. -- He would only watch it when I could come over
    and set and watch it with him. He would tell me old war stories while watching the
    movie or we would just set and BS about life in general. I will always have fond
    memories of sitting with him on Saturday afternoons.
    gregM

myself around.

?

That Greg must be a priceless memory. That had to be awesome listening to the real story while watching Hollywood do it.

The Vet threw this on the table as a thanks for doing the appraisal for them. He said "My brother was in the Army and went to Europe and served over there. He gave this to me after the war and now you can have it"
    To other's, Not Much, but to me Priceless!!!

for Phil,

Semper Fi
    Phil

The thought is priceless that came attached to the patch.
    The greatest gift doesnt need to come at a high dollar value ...it all comes from the heart.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast