Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photo Etiquette

Article about: Just wondering what the etiquette on the Forum is regarding photos. In regards to a well known Auction house (Ratisbons) where saving photos is not permitted, making it impossible to get the

Default Photo Etiquette

Just wondering what the etiquette on the Forum is regarding photos. In regards to a well known Auction house (Ratisbons) where saving photos is not permitted, making it impossible to get the items authenticated on here. I mean i technically could screenshot the photos, but are the photos on there copyrighted and would that then break the rules on here?

MAP
    ?

I don't know the legalities but any dealer that does not let you use the photos to authenticate an item is not someone I would prefer to buy from.

That said, I am seeing this more and more on websites.

As noted, do not take what I say as legally binding or true but this is what I have read (the below is a truncated sample taken directly from another websites). Furthermore there are lots of exceptions to this (i.e. like using "stock photo" services)

The general rule is that you can’t use a copyrighted work without express authorization from the owner, but there is one significant legal construct that allows people to see and share images online. This is called the "Fair Use Doctrine". The purpose of the Fair Use Doctrine is to allow for limited and reasonable uses as long as the use does not interfere with owners’ rights or impede their right to do with the work as they wish.

An example of fair use of an image online is product reviews. If you want to review a book, a new piece of technology, a food product or whatever widget, you’ll likely want to include a photo. But not some washed-out, overexposed, shadowy, laundry in the background kind of photo that you’d take.

So you head to the manufacturer’s website and right-click that image and save it to upload to your site. A photo will not substitute for the actual product, so the owner’s rights should be very minimally affected. Therefore, your right to use the copyrighted image would likely be permitted under fair use.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I know in Australia, 'fair use' would cover me. And its a product, not some expression of art, and he will sell far more if i can authenticate some of the ones im not sure on.
    Thanks Michael
    Ron

Copyright is copyright, and to use someone else's intellectual property, you need their permission. Copying an image and then using it for anything other than personal use is an infringement of copyright. It's as simple as that. It is only safe to use images where copyright has expired.

The forum rules on here state that anything we post on here becomes the intellectual property of the forum. If you are posting something that you have not created yourself... for example a photograph which you have copied from somewhere else, then the forum could find itself in hot water for trying to claim the image (or text) as their property.

Copyright.................Copy....Right?

Right to Copy

Just joking Gents
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'll message Klaus to see if it's OK, then we will know for sure.

Well we have an answer! Yes we can use photos to discuss.
    Photo Etiquette

MAP
    ?

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Well we have an answer! Yes we can use photos to discuss.
    Photo Etiquette
    good to here. I'm not really surprised. Would have expected a positive answer from Klaus.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yeah I've never had an issue with Klaus either..but at least we have an answer now. Works out good for everyone.

MAP
    ?

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Yeah I've never had an issue with Klaus either..but at least we have an answer now. Works out good for everyone.
    Based on what I've been reading, this "fair use" clause seems to cover a lot of what people post photos for online as well as on forums. Obviously, one would need a formal legal opinion to be sure instead of "lay people" like us speculating on the issue from what ever side we are looking at it from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast