Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

safest Third Reich items to collect

Article about: What is generally considered to be the safest area/s of Third Reich collecting in terms of least amount of fakes or where fakes are more easily discernable from originals? I have read countl

Default safest Third Reich items to collect

What is generally considered to be the safest area/s of Third Reich collecting in terms of least amount of fakes or where fakes are more easily discernable from originals?

I have read countless times that the flat-wire SS cuff titles, currency, & 98k bayonets are relatively 'safe' items to collect since the fakes are not convincing or are not worth creating in the first place.

Aside from those 3, what other items are 'safer' bets?

I can only think of WH swords.

cheers
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I can only think of WH swords.

cheers
    Kris
    I would agree, dove/panther/lion head, you get could 'bang for your buck' as well.
    Last edited by Blackdog; 05-06-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

Tinnies !
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

As Nick says, relatively safe, but I have seen even very common low end examples faked. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I agree with the others here but the thing never to be forgotten is that there is no substitute for knowledge which you will only build up by study of your chosen subject. Some good general examples are given above but even with chinese fake swords of all types you will only spot them if you know good ones inside out, then they are obvious but otherwise?

Even the best of us get mugged now and again.

I have been collecting for about 46 years and of all things I have become confident with die struck brass badges of most nations.

However, I recently bought a Leistunsabzeichen (proffiency badge) of the Deutsche Grenzpolizei a DDR early Cold War piece. Now, you wouldn't expect a fake there and I am well versed in these badges. But, when it arrived it was an obvious cast copy with all the text book cast copy traits. I hadn't looked properly at the pictures. No real harm in the end as it went back no problem but it just shows how one must be vigilant as well as knowledgeable.

If in doubt post it here for discussion and if that fails in any way just don't buy it.

Oh, what fun!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    As Nick says, relatively safe, but I have seen even very common low end examples faked. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security here.

Cheers, Ade.
    I am certainly not lulled into a false sense of security as everything Third Reich seems to be faked to some degree, but swords as mentioned (and indeed there are fakes out there) don't seem as faked as say helmets, daggers and documents etc.

I have four fake swords sitting on my desk at present. SS, Police and Diplomatic........

Lesser faked but still duff ones out there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Smile

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have four fake swords sitting on my desk at present. SS, Police and Diplomatic........

Lesser faked but still duff ones out there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ouch! Not in the next auction I hope.

No they will be going back.

Cheers, Ade.