Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Saucy

Article about: That got your attention! I’ve had this ages but don’t think I’ve ever posted it before, an unopened wartime bottle of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce (that’s “ wu-stuh-shuh”

Quote by paul kennedy View Post
    In PA we say wur-stir- sure.
    That's pretty close!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Down here it's "Sheer"
    That's good for Wilt-sheer, Hamp-sheer etc but in the North of England from whence I hail it is more like Lanca-shure and next door it's York-sh'r and let's not mention D'ar'set (Dorset - Dorsetshire and Devonshire are archaic and not used even officially).

"Tomayto / Tomarto" This is such fun!

As for the sauce, the vinegar has probably prevented it becoming dangerous but I'm willing to bet that it would taste like it came from the bowels of Satan

Great piece of ephemera BTW and would be welcome in any museum of the period, just not in a Bloody Mary

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    That's good for Wilt-sheer, Hamp-sheer etc but in the North of England from whence I hail it is more like Lanca-shure and next door it's York-sh'r and let's not mention D'ar'set (Dorset - Dorsetshire and Devonshire are archaic and not used even officially).

"Tomayto / Tomarto" This is such fun!

As for the sauce, the vinegar has probably prevented it becoming dangerous but I'm willing to bet that it would taste like it came from the bowels of Satan

Great piece of ephemera BTW and would be welcome in any museum of the period, just not in a Bloody Mary

Regards

Mark
    Well I come from Somerset, which is superior to all it’s neighbours, including Wiltshire and Dorset. It’s pronounced “summer-set”. If you are from London and trying impress your faux friends talking about your second house over an organic free range egg and fair trade avocado on artisan bread whilst drinking a frappamochachocachino, then you pronounce it “zummer-zet”. However, if you really are from Somerset, like what I is, then you pronounce it “sum-zet”. This is said faster than the speed of sound and sounds like a quick inhale and exhale of air.
    I’m not a true local though as my mother was from Bristol (“Brizz-ol”. Note the lack of “T”, they don’t like “T’s” in their words. They do like adding “S’s” though. If a Bristolian ventured to the United States then then “Walmart” would be come “Walmarts”, “Burger king” - “Burger kings”, etc) and my father was from Stoke-on-Trent. This is pronounced “Stoooke-un-.......”, I switch off after this point as it’s quite drawn out and depressing. They do use the word “Duck” as a term of endearment though, I.e. “alright duck, how you feeling”

and as I recal "Ta ra a bit" for "We shall meet again later old chap"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2