Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

VE Day 75th Anniversary - Lest we forget

Article about: Gents, 75 years ago today the greatest conflict the world has known came to an end. It was a conflict that threatened the most basic freedoms that many today take for granted. But, we must n

Default VE Day 75th Anniversary - Lest we forget

Gents,

75 years ago today the greatest conflict the world has known came to an end.

It was a conflict that threatened the most basic freedoms that many today take for granted. But, we must never forget the price that was paid to make safe those freedoms.

Most of us members here now will not see the 100th anniversary so we will likely not get a better chance to acknowledge the debt we ALL owe to that great generation of true freedom fighters.

Not a common sight in the UK these days (frustrates the hell out of me!!) but this time there are flags in the street despite the COVID19 lockdown

VE Day 75th Anniversary - Lest we forgetVE Day 75th Anniversary - Lest we forget

Each one, man for man has won imperishable praise. Each has gained a glorious grave. Not that sepulchre of earth wherein they lie, but the living tomb of everlasting remembrance wherein their glory is enshrined.
    For the whole earth is the sepulchre of hero’s; monuments may rise and tablets be set up to them in their own land, but on the far-off shores is an abiding memorial that no pen or chisel has traced.
    It is graven, not on stone or brass, but on the hearts of humanity.
    Take these men for your example. Like them, remember that prosperity can only be for the free; that freedom is the sure possession of those who have the courage to defend it.

(Thucydides)

Let's make sure it doesn't happen again.

Peace

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-08-2020 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

There are a fair few Union Jacks up around my hometown today, I’m pleased to say, including my own. A day to remember those who came home, like my own great grandfathers, and those who did not. We owe them a debt we will never be able to repay.

Regards, B.B.

There is always a Union jack flying at our house, I wouldn't be without one. I have a large radio mast in the back garden, and my flag flies from there for 351 days of the year. For the other 14 days there is a 'Lest We Forget ' flag, But for today, we put out a huge Union Jack at the front as well.

?

We had a huge Union Jack on our roof most of today! (Last flown during the Indy ref hahaha)
    Plus a smaller naval ensign at the side since we had it lying around.

"You never lived to see
    What you gave to me
    One shining dream of hope and love
    Life and liberty

With a host of brave unknown soldiers
    For your company, you will live forever
    Here in our memory
    ..."

(from Requiem For a Soldier)

Thank you so much.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Those now our best friends were victims too (of oppression and false promise) and join together in defence of peace!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Congratulations, mates.

You can certainly be proud of the generation that fought against the darkness of absolute evil.

Happy VE celebration