Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Article about: Hello WarRelics Members, I've come across this Berlin Hoard type Totenkopf. I've been looking for this particular variant for a while now. I'm not someone with a very large budget, And since

Are the eagles on the hat anything regonizable as period eagles? Vince

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berlin Hoard Totenkopf
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Vincent View Post
    Are the eagles on the hat anything recgonizable as period eagles? Vince
    I would think not, looks like something you'd find on a fake cap on ebay

Dos
    ?

I didn't want to make another thread, Because there are allready so many that i have viewed regarding this skull.

The skull i show with the photos below is regarded to be also a "Berlin Hoard" skull that is original, but many are also skeptical about it. This one was vetted here on this forum a few years ago as being authentic by a few members and after that came into my possession.

Berlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard Totenkopf

Very recently i found another one that caught my eye. My concerns are the eye and nose cavities on the back side and the nose cavity on the front. The patina or tarnish is also very different. The prongs on the back show no serrations compared to the other example shown above. Here below are some photos of the skull in qeustion:

My eyes are not yet trained enough in picking out the good ones from the bad examples. The shipping costs were more then the skull itself, maybe a big red flag but hey.. If its bad there is no harm done

For comparison:

Any opinions are appreciated!

-Dos

?

I agree that your first skull on the right has much nicer details than the last acquisition on the left. I believe it’s still good however. I’ve never been a fan of these Berlin horde types but if the price is right I would get one myself. I still do not have one in my collection because the prices have gone up . Let’s see what carlsson and others might say.

?

I’d also like to add that the eyes and nose cavities have more to do with the actual die stamp not cutting through as cleanly. The skull comes with both serrated and conventional prongs

Dos
    ?

Yes this skull is my least favorite aswell. Compared to all others i have it feels different in hand. I think this one is also never shown in real period photographs. I will keep in mind that you want one for the right price. I got it from ebay in the ball park of around 20 euros. Your point on that it has to do with a more worn die stamp is probably the case. I forgot to mention that the dome of the skull also seems a bit wider than the more detailed one. I hope to that others can shed some more light on this skull. Thank you Al!

?

Sid and others have posted this skull in period photographs. I think I’ve seen it on some stonemint’s reference threads as well. I’ll post some when I find them

?

Berlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard Totenkopf
    Credit Crlsson1982

Dos
    ?

Thanks for posting these here. Makes the thread a lot more complete for reference. I now remember that i have seen the first photo before.

?

credit: dcfmb010

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Credit stonemint

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast