Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Article about: Hello WarRelics Members, I've come across this Berlin Hoard type Totenkopf. I've been looking for this particular variant for a while now. I'm not someone with a very large budget, And since

?

Quote by Dos View Post
    Thanks for posting these here. Makes the thread a lot more complete for reference. I now remember that i have seen the first photo before.
    I think this pattern has been around for a longtime and we have now accepted them as the Berlin horde type because of a large cache of them being discovered years ago. That does not imply they are all from the so called found hoard, but simply from the same pattern.
    Last edited by Aldo; 10-17-2020 at 10:20 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berlin Hoard Totenkopf
    P
    Many

In my opinion, these two types of skulls were made from the same mold and are die struck.
    the differences is
    1-the material, left zinc skull and probably tombac in right skull.
    2-the way of making the holes in eyes and the nose changed or adapted better to one material than another, hence the difference.

the left skull is for sale at
    SS Visor Cap Skull, Early Jawless First Pattern | Original German Militaria

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

here is a possible photograph of a Berlin hoard skull but it would take the help of someone who has the original book or photo to see a high resolution scan and confirm it.

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Dos
    ?

@another ant, I dont know if i can agree on it that the skull you are showing is from the same die stamp. But it is certainly a similar looking skull. I would be much more comfirtable to having that one in the collection!

Hope someone owns the book and can scan a high res scan of it here. Thanks for your reply and contributing to this thread.

Any more opinions on the skull in post #23?

@Aldo, Yes i learned that thru my search for more information on these skulls. Thank you for correcting me in this.

-Dos

Edit: I worked in a factory that makes die stamps and tools. But the diffrence is to big on the eye and nose cavities that could be changed in using different materials.
    Last edited by Dos; 10-20-2020 at 03:10 PM.

As you can see, the nose and eye holes were made apart from the skull itself, I don't think it is too riski to say that it was able to change the die of holes from one type of skull to another.

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

As I believe that the use of the other type of Berlin hoard skull has already been demonstrated with old photos, I do not think it is very risky to say that this second type was also in use previous and ww2.

I hope this helps

Dos
    ?

Very cool to see and thank you for showing these images here! This made me think more about it...

The way of how a die stamp works now in the present by automatically feeding material in thru the die stamp on one side and having several sections in it where it makes shapes and cuts. Compared to back then it would probably be easier to make a change while working it depending on the material used. I do agree with you that it is certainly possible!

-Dos

Respectfully.
    I would like to ask if any moderator could put this thread on sticky threads.
    So anyone has a quick link to the thread of the Berlin Hoard skulls showing evidence of one of them used in photos , black cap and 1939 film.
    And maybe someone can confirm or deny or contribute about the other type of skull.
    I think it will be easier if this thread is more visible and does not end up losing in time by lowering positions in this section.
    Thanks.

Default Cupal Berlin Hoard type skull

I would like to add my cupal made jawless skull similar to the Berlin hoard type, but not Berlin Hoard found.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Hoard Totenkopf   Berlin Hoard Totenkopf  

Following the theme of the second version.
    Let's not forget that some examples have survived to this day.

Berlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard Totenkopf
    Jedem das Seine

Some examples of Berlin Hoard type skulls in use.
    Used in the early stages made in Tombak and before the war by some SS, there were no zinc cap badges at the time of the photos shown.

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

a little more

Here is the timeline , the adaptation to different materials, Tombac at the beginning, aluminum later and zinc much later and the degradation or change of the tool in the shape of the holes.

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Although they were not created for the SS such as the marked S.T.&L. RZM (Steinhauer & Luck) of 1934 some SS used them as well as other traditional TK models that were available in the early stages of the SS.
    in this image dated late 1933 it can be seen again in use on a SS black cap.

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

anticipating the non-believers and the typical trolls, here in this face to face shown this unique feature can also be seen in the example of the previous post on the first Tombac or Berlin Hoard named skulls , not in the aluminum or zinc skulls of the same die.

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

definitely ,
    The true story of the Berlin Hoard skulls is that it was a original production surplus of traditional TK stored in Berlin, found during building construction works in 2005 no more no less.

I hope that the authenticity of this traditional TK named Berlin Hoard skulls has been definitively clear, beyond the stupidities of the typical trolls, clowns, charlatans and ignorant who try to destroy this hobby.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast