Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Article about: Hello WarRelics Members, I've come across this Berlin Hoard type Totenkopf. I've been looking for this particular variant for a while now. I'm not someone with a very large budget, And since

?

Well documented, thank you for posting so much detail on these often overlooked skulls.
    Regards, Al

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berlin Hoard Totenkopf
    P
    Many

Nice post. well explained .

Got these today

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

only want to clean them a bit but do not want to damage them. any tips how to clean them to make them look decent without damaging ?

?

Welcome to the Totenkopf madness club. These little badges are only the beginning, you'll be hunting for more

The purist would say leave them as they are. The natural patina is the most desirable. The sandy residue is associated with the Berlin soil the hoard was discovered in, or so I am told. If the sand bothers you perhaps lightly clean them with a soft bristle tooth brush or small paint brush. I would not use any type of cleaner or detergent.
    Regards, Al

Thanks.

?

Quote by PierreN View Post
    Thanks. So there is no cure found yet for that skull addiction ?
    Very unlikely ! Once the addiction takes hold all sanity is lost

Berlin Hoard TotenkopfBerlin Hoard Totenkopf
    Berlin Hoard Totenkopf
    Regards, Al

Dos
    ?

I'm still here, reading and checking in a few times a week. Love all the new additions to everyone's collections. I'm not as active as i was a few years back, but still have my collection and have been adding a few things over the years. I will be posting the other ones in my collection page when the time feels right.

My Skulls Of War

I've found a zinc version of the "Berlin Hoard" variant. In my opinion, it has all the characteristics and things you want to see on an original Totenkopf. It is the same variant as the one i posted here in the first place. It comes from the same die, everything matches. Unfortunately, it has some rotten teeth... haha! A small area of zinc pest, but not anything to worry about. The overall condition is very nice. Even the strokes that run vertical, also seen on other zinc insignia. The pins have a round metal base, something also seen on Belgian and Assmann skulls, but not quite matching perfect to one or the other. Missing the pointed edge, for example. Never seen any other example like this! I'm curious to hear what the opinions are, and maybe someone has seen them in the past?

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

Wonderful to see you post again Marten, it has been quiet around here lately. I am not very familiar with this type with the round pins, I do have a couple of this type but with the flat pins. Everyting else appears to be correct. Aldo should be able to shed some light.

Hope all is well with you

?

Hi Marten, good to hear from you. It looks good to me however I've never seen one like that either. It does have the striations like the late war Assmann TK's
    Regards, Al

Dos
    ?

Thanks Dan and Al, appreciate the comments. Glad to hear things are looking good from your sides of view. Hope all is well with you both. I’m very busy but things are going good here.

One thing we know for certain, there must be other specimens of this particular model around since it holds the same die characteristics.

It’s weird because the Berlin hoard story has never been fully revealed and this one is made of the zinc material used mainly at the end of the war. Curious to hear what Sid and Another Ant have to say about this. Are they still around ?

?

Sid not so much but another ant has had PC problems and cant post at the moment. I'll relay his response if he gives one.
    Regards, Al

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast