Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Fake Danziger Skulls

Article about: I come across so many fake skulls in my quest to increase my collection that I thought I'd start a thread about them. I'll post what I come across and compare it with real versions from my c

?

Thanks Paul, it's a double edged sword that also helps forgers unfortunately. I feel that anyone who is really looking for information can find the thread as is. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Regards, Al

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Danziger Skulls
    P
    Many

?

Here's a small display of fake skulls and medals I have collected for study or in error......

Fake Danziger Skulls

?

I took a gamble on this inexpensive reproduction Condor Legion beret because the skull looked authentic with the limited photo's provided. The beret arrived from Spain today and the skull did look promising until I pried it off and clearly saw the casting flaws. I highlighted a couple of casting flaws on the front but the reverse of the badge reveals the truth. I'll post it here as another fake Danziger reference.

Fake Danziger SkullsFake Danziger Skulls

Last edited by Aldo; 10-30-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Thought I'd add this skull as I believe it to be fake due to poor detail but would also like opinions just to be sure. What do you think?

Dos
    ?

Straight on pictures are necessary. I believe this to be a Berlin Hoard type TK. These are believed to be original by some and others think this to be a reproduction. The edges / rim on yours is more pronounced and that can be a problem, But maybe it is just because of how the picture is taken. Wait for other opinions.

This topic has some more reference about this skull:

Berlin Hoard Totenkopf

There are other topics on this subject on the forum if you use the search option.

-Dos

Many thanks my friend, I appreciate it.

I hope these help a little more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake Danziger Skulls   Fake Danziger Skulls  

Fake Danziger Skulls   Fake Danziger Skulls  

Fake Danziger Skulls   Fake Danziger Skulls  

Dos
    ?

I don't like the edge of the skull. I got a few similar "Berlin Hoard" Type / 5th Cavalry Tk's and none of them have this future on mine. Then again i'm only comparing this to my own and don't posses enough knowledge on these to tell you for sure. I think you have more luck if you start a new thread on this skull to enlarge your chances of someone else his opinion.

Fake Danziger Skulls

If you look at this picture of a pile that was supposedly a part of the "Berlin Hoard" find back around 2000's. The soil, edge and shiny solder does line up with yours.. The weak details are somewhat common on these type of skulls, But this is probably due to the wear on the die stamp that was used.

-Dos

Fake Danziger Skulls

Thumbs up

Yeah, I read the threads you recommend and these badges seem to be a bit of a nightmare fullstop! It's bad enough dodging the fakes of well known badges but at least there's plenty of information on them out there. These still seem like quite the mystery to a lot of collectors it would seem. Many thanks for the information again my friend, you've been very helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3