Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Minty Unmarked TK

Article about: My first acquisition of the year is this minty unmarked Totenkopf. I have one other in my collection that has taken on a very dark patina. I've taken photo's of both for contrast. I also inc

?

Hi Finn, that is my skull in the book. He describes it as cupal which it most certainly is not, it's more like Tombak.

Unmarked Deschler TK

Resnik spent about a year on the forum gaining knowledge from our members and using our images to publish the book. You can look for old threads by Adrewr in 2019. That is why you have to use caution even with reference books. The fact that it's published does not make it authentic, in fact the writer never even handled these artifacts he published. He just used our images without the common courtesy of informing us.

My point is that if my skull were fake, which I don't believe it is, it would have been published anyway by resnick and now future collectors use it as their guide. here is another of my skulls that was deemed controversial also in the book. I am no expert by any means, but I have the luxury of a very large and varied collection to examine and compare

Rare Transitional Deschler TK
    Regards, Al

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Minty Unmarked TK
    P
    Many

Beautiful Examples, Gentlemen... These days, Variants are often instantly condemned as Fakes simply because they can't be found listed in a book...
    -Glenn-

Hello Aldo, great post, thx! Did not know it is your lovely skull in it! That is crazy, how much of it's appearance depends on a light. I know, one should be cautious with reference books, always, although I know Andrew from many groups and forums for some years, got 3 books from him on skulls'es topic and I know his enormous effort he spent on his research, and how many great collectors helped in it with their contribution (vide Yourself for example). I myself also liked their (unmarked ) appearance in hand, as they just have this correct "historical" period feel.
    Regards
    Finn
    PS: I like your collection very much, I will try to photograph my skull, which I still have at the moment (they come and they go sometimes). I also collecto Leibhusaren Busby's skulls, I simply love them.

?

Hello Finn, the lighting is crucial to photographing detail. I find the "shiny" variety are harder to capture the details. It's all about the background color and amount of light along with macro photography that make the difference. Oddly enough the skulls photograph best in the palm of the hand but it's a practice I avoid because I like an uncluttered background.
    I also love the Busby skulls but I can't seem to find an authentic one. I purchased one awhile back and returned it because the consensus was that it was a reproduction. Then I saw another for sale but was still unsure and let it go and another forum member bought it. I'm still not 100% sure it was the right move but there it is.

Prussian Leib Husaren Busby TK
    Regards, Al

Hello Aldo, photography at palm of a hand is indeed the best, I find it out itself as well, looks closest possible to original appearance. Althought looks not "that" elegant like a dark background, which is better then light /white one in my opinion. I have seen that first type Busby Totenkopf from your link, it could be good, althought there are very well copies known, but I like it more then I don't. Those screws were attached at some point, as normally it should be rings or splints there to attach it to Busbys, I will try to make nice photos for you tomorrow in a day light.
    Regards
    Finn

?

Quote by Finnvolunteer View Post
    Hello Aldo, photography at palm of a hand is indeed the best, I find it out itself as well, looks closest possible to original appearance. Althought looks not "that" elegant like a dark background, which is better then light /white one in my opinion. I have seen that first type Busby Totenkopf from your link, it could be good, althought there are very well copies known, but I like it more then I don't. Those screws were attached at some point, as normally it should be rings or splints there to attach it to Busbys, I will try to make nice photos for you tomorrow in a day light.
    Regards
    Finn
    Thank you, I regret returning it because I wasn't 100% convinced.
    Regards, Al

Hello Aldo, here is some part of my Leibhusaren collection, you can see some skulls there, I will try to get them out on a sunny day and make better pics, was busy last days. Anyway, you can see something here for sure. I also own one of those early ones, but seem to be pretty crispy in detail. All of them have splints or rings behind them to attach.
    Regards
    Finn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Minty Unmarked TK  

?

Outstanding collection Finn! You should start a thread showcasing your Leibhusaren collection in detail. There are a lot of members who have interest in these. I look forward to seeing more.
    Regards, Al

Hello Aldo, thank you very much for your kind words I would gladly share my collection with other fans of that formation, good idea. I will try to get nice detailed photos of what I have and to tell a little about some, Nice idea, stay tuned, I will do, I promise !
    regards
    Finn

?

I took advantage of a nice sunny day and took some more outdoor photographs of my unmarked skulls...

Minty Unmarked TK

Minty Unmarked TK
    Regards, Al

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast