Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Skull 499/41

Article about: Hello, is it possible to have your opinion on this 499/41? Thank you. Regards.

Ahh.. That makes sense Al. That would also explain some confusion I had when purchasing a couple items which I misunderstood as aluminum, that turned out to be an aluminum layer over copper. I wish this material had a designated name to make some of the verbage a little easier to understand.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Skull 499/41
    P
    Many

?

Dan, so this is a perfect example of a cupal Zimmermann. The core is aluminum but completely layered in copper. The silver finish is then electroplated on I assume. When the plating is worn down it exposes the copper. The back often takes on a mottled or blackened appearance with just some hints of copper showing through. the rear doesn't get the same kind of wear as the front.

Credit John T:
    Skull 499/41Skull 499/41

Skull 499/41

This is the type we are discussing, aluminum front with a copper backing. All the copper is exposed on the back because it hasn't been plated with anything. The front is all aluminum which is softer and susceptible to scratches marks etc. but retains it's natural finish. all the dealers websites refer to these as cupal regardless.

Skull 499/41Skull 499/41

I think I got it right but read post #7 below for more from the authority on these matters

Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf
    Regards, Al

Thanks Al, has become a helpful and informative thread.
    Regards, Jannis.

Very helpful breakdown Al, thank you!

Dos
    ?

In my experience working with these Cupal materials in the past. (Making conventional tools and die stamps, and/or revising them.) It just means a copper base material with an Aluminum material on top or on both sides… so both pieces shown above are Cupal and were listed correctly in terms of material. It can also be the other way around as Aldo shows in post 6# & #10, but that is not seen often. It means a combination of Copper (Chemical element "CU") and Aluminum (Chemical element "AL") with block P of the periodic table. CUPAL.

you are right Dos.
    My fault,
    but I hope we have gotten something positive out of this mistake and have understood the differences between the copper-aluminum-copper skulls and eagles and the aluminum-copper skulls and eagles.

Aldo you explain it much more clearly than me, IMO ,thanks.
    Jedem das Seine

I certainly have, thanks another ant, Dos and Aldo for your informative contributions

?

Dan, post your mint Zimmerman for us. The well worn one is obviously a traditional cupal type like the last one I just bought. The mint one looks aluminum on the face but the back is plated so it's throwing me off. I'd like to hear opinions on what type that is.
    Al
    Regards, Al

You got it my friend, it can be seen in Resnicks book too
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Skull 499/41   Skull 499/41  

A simple answer without details but 100% correct to your question Aldo is

Quote by Dos View Post
    In my experience working with these Cupal materials in the past. (Making conventional tools and die stamps, and/or revising them.) It just means a copper base material with an Aluminum material on top or on both sides… so both pieces shown above are Cupal and were listed correctly in terms of material. It can also be the other way around as Aldo shows in post 6# & #10, but that is not seen often. It means a combination of Copper (Chemical element "CU") and Aluminum (Chemical element "AL") with block P of the periodic table. CUPAL.
    CUPAL with back plated.
    Jedem das Seine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast