Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Eagle 475/42 - Ferdinand Wagner

Article about: My latest eagle arrived today, a well worn SS 475/42 by Ferdinand Wagner. I realize it's a zinc stinker with no prongs but the price was right. It's chunky and heavier than my cupal and alum

?

I picked up another chunky Wagner eagle. This one has less silver finish on the zinc and retains one prong. This one is also flat compared to the other specimen that is nicely vaulted. Enjoy.

The Pair

With a nice assortment of Overhoff, Zimmermann and Deschler TK's

Regards, Al

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Eagle 475/42 - Ferdinand Wagner
    P
    Many

Nice score Al, congrats! I just purchased a wagner thats an identicle twin of the first one you posted, missing prongs and all. For some reason I couldnt download pics from the site, will have to wait till it gets here.

?

Thanks Dan ! I just found these images of one that sold on another European website, it's a 1939 manufacture. The one thing in common seems to be their relatively affordable price range due to the condition

Regards, Al

Yes I agree, mine was about half the price of a mint zimmerman eagle per se. Another common trait seems to be the week prongs. But for the money, I thought why not, zink is zink, it is what it is, a nice peice of SS regalia!

?

Exactly Dan, knowing the SS insignia market trends.... today's zinc stinker is tomorrow's treasured piece. I remember discussing the absurd price of a zinc Overhoff TK that sold for $1600 just 3 years ago. Those absurd prices are standard now. A zinc Overhoff sold for between $800 and $1100 at the time of that post to give you perspective. Buy em while you can, LOL
    Regards, Al

I couldnt agree more Al. Ive been snatching up those little m1927 pattern eagles lately. Theyre plentiful and cheap now, and look great paired up with any TK. But who knows, what if those little guys start approaching the price of the bigger eagles?!

I saw this eagle with a different way to attach the prongs on the backside....the rests seems to be identically to the ones posted here...is this detail a red flag or just some kind of variation?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Eagle 475/42 - Ferdinand Wagner  

?

That seems like a one piece mold as opposed to the prong being inserted into the base. Can we see the front of the eagle? That is a red flag for me but wait for the eagle experts to be sure.

P.S. I also noticed that skull pictured at the bottom of the photo is marked 122 therefore a fake, my guess it's all fake
    Regards, Al

Yes, the skull is indeed a fake, but I wasn't sure about the eagle. Here more pictures

?

The front does look good, perhaps I'm wrong and it's a cupal bird different from the zinc type. however I think only the earlier 39 marked eagles were produced in cupal. Hopefully someone will give you a definitive answer

Edit: Here I found one like yours courtesy of John T.

SS Visor Cap Eagle by "SS 475/42 RZM" - Original German Militaria

Regards, Al

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast