Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

TK appraisal request

Article about: Good day gentlemen, After many hours and mind-numbing attempts to compare my sole example against the countless examples on this forum, I think I have an unmarked ‘Totenschäden’ (I have

?

Default TK appraisal request

Good day gentlemen,
    After many hours and mind-numbing attempts to compare my sole example against the countless examples on this forum, I think I have an unmarked TK, c.1933/34.. I also think it is a real one (putting my neck on the block)..

However, I fully expect to be completely wrong.

This is the only SS item I possess (apart from my tropical sahariana tunic), as this is not, in all honesty, a subject close to my heart.
    I shall certainly welcome any comments and appraisals of this insigne, with thanks.
    I hope the images are sufficient, as they were taken with an iPad, and I couldn’t get them to load in a logical sequence.

With my sincerest thanks for your time and expertise,
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture TK appraisal request   TK appraisal request  

TK appraisal request   TK appraisal request  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement TK appraisal request
    P
    Many

?

Hello Rob, it appears to me to be a well worn original. I see no issues. An outdoor natural light photo with a lighter background may reveal more about the finish.
    Regards, Al

?

Many thanks, Aldo!
    I shall endeavour to get some decent outdoor images for you..

The thing itself is quite shiny, so it fits with your description of well-worn, or rather, well polished (particularly to the lower tooth area), though appears to have all its finish intact.
    I shall add some more images shortly.
    Many thanks and all the best,
    Rob

?

Hello Rob, precisely what I was referring to with respect to the finish. Often times collectors will polish these things to make them more appealing, not something you want to do. Other times they take on a shine from excessive handling something I'm guilty of myself. I find that black backgrounds on photo's while very striking and appealing often obscure the patina. Here is an example of different backgrounds used on similar skulls revealing how much is actual finish vs reflection of light. Just my take on photographing hundreds of these things over the last few years. Natural light, not direct sun yield the best results in my opinion.

Cheers, Al

TK appraisal request

TK appraisal requestTK appraisal request
    Regards, Al

?

Many thanks for the tip, Aldo, and an excellent illustration of your point!

I have never polished this badge and have kept it in a small ring case since I bought it, as a teenager!

As promised, a few more images in natural light, plus one through a loupe. These do indeed highlight wear and patina (I’m always too busy thinking about composition and aesthetics)!
    I hope these help..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture TK appraisal request   TK appraisal request  

?

Indeed a nice specimen with most of it's finish Perhaps neusilber like this one? Mine shows more flaking of the finish but you can see the areas around the nasal cavity on yours where the finish, (electroplating) has peeled off or worn out revealing the underlying metal. I'm no no expert by any means but we have other members more proficient in the manufacturing process, metals, etc... Although it does appear to be highly polished, nonetheless I like this skull.

[TK appraisal request

TK appraisal request

TK appraisal request

TK appraisal request
    Regards, Al