Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1942 German Africa Korps Tank Recognition Flag

Article about: I have been offered i think it is real but i would like a second opinion.

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    Is there any photo evidence of these balkenkreuz flag ever being used??
    If I'm not mistaken, did you mean, "is there any photo evidence of these balkenkruez flag ever being flown?"
    I do know there is photo evidence of them being used as vehicle identification flags.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1942 German Africa Korps Tank Recognition Flag
    P
    Many

Here is some more information regarding the use of the Balken Cross flag and swastika flags..

This information can be found in the book "Uniforms, Organization and History of the PANZERTRUPPE" by Roger James Bender and Warren W. Odegard.

There is a chapter in the book starting on page 279 that discusses Panzer markings and camouflage. The methods of marking the vehicles vary starting with the Polish Campaign in September 1939. It discusses the use of the Balken cross in marking vehicles. I will also note that the majority of the markings were in fact painted Balken crosses on the vehicles but as I read a little further there was some interesting information regarding the use of the Balken Cross cloth identification flag.

"In anticipation of recognition problems between the Army and Luftwaffe support units during the upcoming invasion of France and the Netherlands, the German General Staff issued the following order in March 1940".3

3. Ob.d.h./Gen.St.d.h./Ausb.Abt. (Ia) Nr. 450/40g vom 8.3.1940. This order was altered slightly by Order #363, dated April 2, 1941, in AHM, April 21, 1941

"A swastika flag and orange smoke are to be utilized by all troops for recognition purposes when in a combat zone. The swastika flag is, according to circumstances, to be spread out on the ground, to be wave to and fro, or to be stretched across a vehicle. The orange smoke is to be expressly used if the danger of attack by friendly aircraft persists."

"The swastika flag discussed above was either a standard national flag or a special issue flag with a metal grommet at each corner for tying down purposes. Later in the war, the use of the Balken cross flag (white circle with a Balken cross in its center rather than a swastika, on a red field) gradually replaced the swastika flag. It should be noted that these flags were rarely used in the final stages of the war because the Allies held undisputed air superiority over most fronts. When the above recognition devices were not available to front line units, German crews generally painted white identification symbols on the top portions of their vehicles. These usually took the form of Balken crosses, swastikas or rectangular bars."

I will continue to look for more references and images of the Balken cross flag in use..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2