Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1943 ss flag

Article about: Hi everyone, its been a while, so i thought i would drop by and see what you make of my latest additions. My first post a few years back was a Japanese flag that was quite a find, i still ha

?

Default 1943 ss flag

1943 ss flag1943 ss flag1943 ss flag1943 ss flag1943 ss flag1943 ss flag

Hi everyone, its been a while, so i thought i would drop by and see what you make of my latest additions. My first post a few years back was a Japanese flag that was quite a find, i still have and and now adding to my collection. I have been wary of ss flags as i have seen a few fakes and i am no expert on this, hence why i am here. This ss flag has a faint RZM marking and swastika stamp also, it also has some writing to which i cant make out as its too faint, but i am guessing its the place of where it was made. it also has a 1943 stamp and other than that nothing i can see.
    i have another flag also but will post that separately.
    Be good to get your views, many thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1943 ss flag
    P
    Many

I'm not fan of this flag and those stamps are always dead giveaway
    -TJ-

?

to be fair most nazi equipment, uniform and flags had the markings, it was something that Germany did, there are obvious fakes out there i have seen them. However with this flag i am leaning away from a fake..most people shout fake as soon as they see an ss flag, but do your homework first and results sometime come after.

I’d be doubtful of this one too. A profusion of markings on the header is common with many fake flags of all countries. Similar markings can be seen on fake/embellished British flags from the same period. That, plus the white thread used to stitch the runes to the flag itself seems far too new and bright.

Keep in mind that SS stuff is worth a lot of money, and fakers have been very well motivated over the years to perfect their techniques. Sometimes even veteran collectors have trouble spotting the difference.

B.B.

The only thing I question is, you don't normally see the insignia double stitched to the flag?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Namvet View Post
    to be fair most nazi equipment, uniform and flags had the markings, it was something that Germany did...
    You are correct. But this style RZM stamp is fake. On the real SS flag I have seen normal paper RZM tag what is 100% original, but I do not say all SS flags post to have paper tag.
    -TJ-

To me it looks similar to this one posted a couple years back
    SS Flag RZM Stamp Real or Fantasy?

No one likes to hear that an item they have may be fake, and in this case the SS Flag is fake.

The RZM and SS ink stampings are pure fantasy. You have to ask the question, why would an SS flag with sewn SS runes need an SS ink stamp on the header? This is not something that the Germans always did, and you also mentioned there was a "swastika stamp"? That in itself would never have been on an SS flag.

This is a 1970s Delta International Fake flag that has been flooding the market for years.

Black lighting the fabric and burn testing the string may also reveal post May 1945 manufacturing in the threads and cloth Runes, hence again this would not be period authentic. These methods are not a definitive disqualifier but enough to know that the thread would be post 1945.

Period SS material is highly sought after as well as very expensive. Without Proof and provenance (and not just ("it was brought home by a vet"), there needs to be more information before I would be willing to believe the authenticity.

In regards to "do your homework first and results sometime come after." One of the most educated and scholarly individuals on Third Reich Flags that mentored me was Mr. Ben Weed (rest in peace Ben). Ben studied TR and other flags for as long as I can remember (Over 50 years) and I have been collecting and studying flags for about 30 years and collecting other TR Militaria for about 50 years and I have seen this type of fake flag many times at many gun shows and coming out of many collections from individuals as well as many "reputable dealers" and they all share one common attribute, they are fake.

Best regards

Smitty

?

hey Smitty, thanks for the reply, whilst anyone is always hopeful i am also realistic, so if its a fake its a fake, no biggie. i appreciate your comments and value them as someone who has studied this matter, so you have much more knowledge than i do. a common theme in alot of posts i have noticed is people calling fake but not always with any reason or substance. some.you win, some you loae, and on this occasion i lost 😂 just the way it is. thanks again, as always value your perspective.

Namvet,

It's always disappointing to have to let someone know that something in their collection is not authentic. It has happened to me many times, but I also don't like to leave people hanging and wondering why something is fake or reproduction. I too agree that there are many topics that don't go into the reasons why or why not something is real or fake. I have had many mentors in the field of collecting Third Reich artifacts and as I get older, I feel an obligation to educate those who I will be passing the torch to, rather than keep the knowledge to myself, it benefits no-one. I always try to provide scholarly information and research material in order for those interested to further their education and knowledge about particular areas of interest.

After a few times getting the bad news myself on some of my artifacts, I took some time to reach out to those well respected in their particular fields of interest and instead of talking, thinking that I knew everything, I kept my mouth shut and my ears open and I listened to them intently and I found out that what I thought I knew only revealed that I didn't know doo doo. Humbled to say the least, but I took that information from these gentlemen and instead of purchasing another mistake, I spent much of my money on reference books, many out of print now and I delved deep into archival records and documents to help me along the way. Until I built up enough knowledge (One is always learning) and confidence in my research to feel comfortable in purchasing something authentic which took me many more years, then I was finally comfortable with my own assessments to share my knowledge and the reasons why to my colleagues here and on other forums.

I appreciate your very kind and humbling words, and I will be more than happy to provide my thoughts and information to you or anyone else before making a big ticket purchase in order to save the heartbreak of bad news and loss of funds.

Best regards, stay safe, happy collecting

Smitty