Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible

Article about: Hello I have this massive (in my opinion) rad flag that came directly from my uncles uncle who was in ww2 and was wondering how to keep it safe from moths and also maybe be able to have it d

?

Thanks again for your comments Smitty. I buy these clips in the dollar store & the only problem I have is getting enough of one color to use LOL. Yes, the map holders sound like a good idea which I am starting to think about using perhaps. Thanks again
    Bill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible
    P
    Many

Fascinating thread, so impressed with the level of help/advice given here, truly outstanding !
    Regards
    Paul

I store my artillery standardt in my freezer rolled up in a clean cotton bath towel. We have silver fish issues as I live in tropical Hawaii and silverfish can cause considerable damage in a short amount of time. I failed to inspect the swallow tail standardt by only a few months excess time and when I finally got around to inspecting it i found small BB to 22 cal. pellet size holes. There were 3 or 4 small holes that the silk had the silverfish feed on.

In discussion with the 25th Tropic Lightnings museum curator she advised long term storage in the deep freeze as once infestation begins silverfish lay eggs and the next thing is a silverfish feast on a very expensive artifact.

I asked the curator how long it should be stored and she advised that silverfish larvae requires a long term deep freeze to kill the larvae before it hatches and to kill any living silverfish that may have been missed.

17 years and counting and no more damage was discovered. I load my display cases with moth balls, cedar chips in bags and VpCI emitter panels that scavenge the oxygen in the display cases & thankfully no insect infestations on SS insignia, tunics, no corrosion on bullion insignia and no dagger corrosion.

I can only echo what Rich has said regarding some of the nasty pests that infiltrate our collections, and deep freezing is one of our preferred methods.

@ Rich

Good advice in regards to the deep freezing from the 25th ID museum.

Here are some other points about the deep freezing process..

We usually do a cycle of three times in the freezer, each one has specific reasons.

Step one: When an artifact comes into the museum for possible accession into the collection, the first thing we do is to inspect it carefully and we try to clean as much of the surface dirt and dust from the item. Uniforms for example, we check all seams, inside pockets, arm pits, etc. and use a variable speed vacuum with HEPA filters and gently clean. Then it goes into a zip lock bag and into the freezer for a period of 2 weeks. This initial deep freeze is designed to kill any living pests that we may have missed during the vacuuming process.

Step two: Once taken of the freezer and thawed for the first time it is again cleaned and inspected and vacuumed again. Again any initial bugs that were alive when they went into the freezer the first time they are now dead from the deep freeze. Once cleaned the uniform goes into a second new zip lock bag and back into the freezer, this time for a period of 3 to 4 weeks. This second deep freeze will kill any larvae that may have possibly escaped the first round of freezing.

Step three: Once this time period is done, the process is once again repeated with thawing and cleaning. Another deep inspection of the cloth, pockets, seams, etc. to ensure that all areas are inspected. (We also use jewelers loops to look closely at the tight nooks and crannies where the pests and larva like to hide in. Once this done, another clean zip lock and one final deep freeze for another 2 weeks. (more for piece of mind since up to this point the uniform or whatever item has been carefully quarantined from the cataloged and accessioned artifacts). We will take care not to introduce an item into the collection area until this process has been done out of fear that we could possibly contaminate the collection and spread pests to otherwise clean garments or whatever..

Step four: Final deep freeze and inspection/cleaning. Once this step is done we can safely add the item to the other cataloged collection items and start a conservation report file that will go with the Historical Property Jacket (aka record file). Then periodic inspections and cleanings will be conducted to ensure that the artifact is clean of pests.

@ Bill,

As promised here are some images of one of the methods we use to roll the flags using tubes and one method used for hanging the flags once rolled in muslin, acid free tissue and tubing. The Soviet flag is placed on a table with muslin cloth on the bottom, so that will be the outer layer of protection then acid free tissue paper on top of the flag as an inner barrier/buffer for added protection. When the flag is rolled we then secure it by tying muslin cloth strips to the tubing.

Some of the images show tissue paper on the outside, and we were in the process of switching out the tissue on the outer to muslin cloth which is more durable and less likely to tear like the wool blanket that is at the very top of the hanging flags..

Best regards,

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible   Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible  

Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible  
    Attached Images Attached Images Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible  Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible  Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible 

Smitty aka Rakkasan187, I have tried to locate the netting seen on old silk flags that aids in an even weight disbursement of bullion & what looks to be colored yarn used in insignia weaved into the silk foundation of the swallow tails and 4' X 4' standard's and seem to run into a brick wall working to discover how the netting is applied and where it is available. There is a source & trying to understand nomenclature & who and where is the material sold seems to be beyond my scope of handling.

The issue of flag displaying, with heavier flags due to elegant embroidery on the silk and with allowance of the overall flag to be suspended downward over time creates great stress & havoc over time. At one point I found a display made for a swallow tail standardt as seen in attached image, thought extensively about reproducing the display but fear the damage that would occur over time. And displaying the flag & staff with it's accessories laying flat would require a table of epic proportions. Tough to do in a 1,300 sq ft home.

Whats worse, my home is not air conditioned as there has been an ongoing battle with my wife about doing so but so far a staunch refusal. Lots of concern with heat damage and long term displaying as temperatures in summer here can be 95 degrees plus..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Ww2 rad flag and how do I keep it safe and display able if possible  

Rich,

These are unfortunately some of the inherent risks of collecting what collect, The display is quite impressive but as you mentioned I too would have some issues with hanging the guidons or swallowtail in this format without careful thought and of course I would probably confer with our chief conservator and her staff at the Center of Military History regarding the displaying of something like this.

Regarding your question and search for answers regarding the netting and application I will have to make some inquiries and ask some specific questions about this material...

Perhaps the netting is sold at GAYLORD or University Products which are two of the premiere companies that deal with archival and artifact storage and displays..

Interesting topic..

Stay tuned folks...

Smitty

?

Smitty, thanks again for the info and the pictures showing how they are wrapped and what to use. As Paul said, "Fascinating thread, so impressed with the level of help/advice given here, truly outstanding !" This has been the best & most informative information I've read so far about preserving these items. Absolutely fascinating.
    Again, much appreciated.
    Bill

Thank everyone so much for all the information I cant wait to start to preserve it better than I had it preserved now.

Smitty aka Rakkasan187, I checked the links you posted but neither has the netting. I've seen Imperial era flags and Bob Coleman had posted a flag sometime ago, early era 3rd Reich that had the netting applied. I looked but had no success in finding the images.

The typical mechanics story, when you do not need a certain tool it is always falling on your feet or in the way and seems never to be put back where it belongs. When you need it, you cannot find it and purchase another one. Then use that one. Then looking for it again, you cannot find it and purchase a 3rd one. Maddening for sure, especially when you seek 1 of them and yet cannot find any of them. More than maddening.

Rich,

Something else that we use in the arena of netting is the very fine window screen netting (some type that is used on regular windows). We sometimes place this mesh over a textile when we get ready to perform a conservation vacuum of the item so that the suction is not in direct contact with said item. The mesh netting is still porous enough to lift the dirt and still protect the textile.

Maybe this netting could be a substitute for the time being...

Let me reach out to some folks in the conservator department and see if they have any information. May take a few days since some are taking the Easter holiday.. Maybe sometime late next week I will get a reply...

In the meantime, take a gander at this article and the process this company went through to conserve some pretty impressive flags..

Category: Flag - Museum Textile Services

Stay Tuned Folks..

Smitty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3