Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?

Article about: This was supposedly a WW2 bring back. It Measures 28" X 72" Seems to be in good condition with what looks like a slight bloodstain on the white center and two possible bullet holes

Question Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?

This was supposedly a WW2 bring back. It Measures 28" X 72" Seems to be in good condition with what looks like a slight bloodstain on the white center and two possible bullet holes. Does it seem authentic... if so what were they used for?Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can Anyone assist with the type and authenticity of this NAZI banner?
    P
    Many

?

It looks real enough . Nazi flags were an everyplace item hanging from buildings and anywhere you could think of hanging one. I would guess this one hung from a window or building. Rob

raz
    ?

I have one with the same measurements and as stated it is a flag for display . Good one .

Quote by raz View Post
    I have one with the same measurements and as stated it is a flag for display . Good one .
    Looks like a perfectly good "wall hanger" banner to me so not actually a "flag" per se. There were thousands of these and they were used to hang outside all kinds of buildings to show endorsement or appreciation of "Der Fuhrer" and his fun machine! Sort of saying "I'm with the programme"

As for the stain well, "supposed blood stains" almost always turn out to be just dark stains and this bears no resemblance at all to what is known in the trade as "blood spatter" assiciated with gunshot wounds or random drip / soak stains for that matter.

The holes are well, just holes. A forensic examination might (stress might) reveal gunshot residue but only from a shot at point blank range and would cost thousands so without provenance they are just holes.

As the old collectors adage goes "buy the item not the story" so I hope the tale did not influence your purchase of an otherwise good period item of ephemera.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

As Mark has stated, this would be a vertical wall banner.. The top of the flag should have reinforced stitching where a pole would go through thus enabling vertical hanging.. I can't tell in these photos but it appears that at least one end of this flag does have the reinforced stitching to allow a pole to be inserted through. The swastika appears to be centered and if both ends are reinforced it would not matter which end was hung from the top vs the bottom.

If the swastika had been centered more towards the top and the reinforced stitching was only on one end then the banner would be hung with the swastika up towards the top. These were common for hanging on large light poles and other vertical objects..

Smitty