Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German flag vet bringback from Italy

Article about: Gentelmen, I though you would like to see this flag I have. It is one of the first items I bought when starting to collect militaria. Some of you will surely remember the thick Manions Aucti

Default German flag vet bringback from Italy

Gentelmen,

I though you would like to see this flag I have. It is one of the first items I bought when starting to collect militaria. Some of you will surely remember the thick Manions Auction House catalogs in the pre-internet era. There is where I obtained it.

The flag was apparently captured by an american G.I. in the italian city of Naples soon after it fell in allied hands. It was in a public building. It is the type of flag that hangs vertically (sorry for not knowing the name of that type of flag). It measures 100x160 centimetres.

The only markings are a stamp that reads "MUNICIPIO DI NAPOLI - ECONOMATO" and the handwritten phrase from the G.I. who captured it. The translation for economato can be something like a supply office or bursar's office. Some years after the war the G.I. gave the flag to a chartiy that was raising money by auctioning donated items. A collector bought it and a few years later consigned to Manions, where I acquired it. Unfortunately I have no more info about the vet and the circumstances of the flag capture.

Your comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German flag vet bringback from Italy   German flag vet bringback from Italy  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German flag vet bringback from Italy
    P
    Many

Default Re: German flag vet bringback from Italy

More photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German flag vet bringback from Italy   German flag vet bringback from Italy  

As this flag originally belonged to the City of Naples, maybe "Hank" aquired this from another GI later in the war. Naples is a long way from the German border. When I see these signed flags, I always wonder who the man was that signed the flag and what happened to him after the war. A nice example.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    Gentelmen,

I though you would like to see this flag I have. It is one of the first items I bought when starting to collect militaria. Some of you will surely remember the thick Manions Auction House catalogs in the pre-internet era. There is where I obtained it.

The flag was apparently captured by an american G.I. in the italian city of Naples soon after it fell in allied hands. It was in a public building. It is the type of flag that hangs vertically (sorry for not knowing the name of that type of flag). It measures 100x160 centimetres.

The only markings are a stamp that reads "MUNICIPIO DI NAPOLI - ECONOMATO" and the handwritten phrase from the G.I. who captured it. The translation for economato can be something like a supply office or bursar's office. Some years after the war the G.I. gave the flag to a chartiy that was raising money by auctioning donated items. A collector bought it and a few years later consigned to Manions, where I acquired it. Unfortunately I have no more info about the vet and the circumstances of the flag capture.

Your comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Gus
    hi gus i have the exact same building/meeting hall/banner got not so long ago from a good freind at this forum with the same makers instamp as yours but as mines was sort of faded i could not realy read it just make out parts of it! now i have it thanks for posting this mate!! heres mines below anybody date these??

thanks

hi gus check this quick google search out some info on the ink stamps and the company in napels cheers

gus MUNICIPIO is the town DI NAPOLI in naples and ECONOMATO is company store?

info from translator the link below claims all banners with this stamping were officail property of the town hall for use with rallys,meetings,street marches etc

Google Translate

cheers

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    hi gus check this quick google search out some info on the ink stamps and the company in napels cheers

gus MUNICIPIO is the town DI NAPOLI in naples and ECONOMATO is company store?

info from translator the link below claims all banners with this stamping were officail property of the town hall for use with rallys,meetings,street marches etc

Google Translate

cheers

Ewan,

Wow! Nice link you have supplied there.

The name "Municipio di Napoli" stands for the City Hall of the town of Naples. This means it is an official flag from Naples. What I am not sure is if the word "economato" stands for "treasurer". Maybe some italian member can clear it for us. In any case, it is nice to know that the story that came with my flag was basically correct, as it belonged to an official building in Naples. Maybe saying they are the flags that waved during HitlerĀ“s visit is taking matters a bit too far, but it might as well have happened, who knows. The photo is quite telling, in any case.

Thanks again for the link. A pity that the selling price does not appear.

Regards,

Gus
    Last edited by guscanoesp; 06-04-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo

hi gus i would reakon they will hold cash like! and thank you mate as i never new the correct stamp as i said mines has faded! and infact it has printed it again near the middle of the banner like its been folded while the inkstamp was wet this being the reason its unreadble! cheers mate

p.s gus the banners in the photo from the google link is diffrent from ours as they have poles slotted through the bottom for weights in outside winds! ours have tyes at the top and were prob for indoor halls etc but original and from the same company maker !