Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Grand Admiral’s flag?

Article about: Hi all, I’m new to the field of militaria. I’m posting some pictures of what I believe is a grand admiral’s flag. My grandfather was stationed in Kiel after the war helping to dismantl

Default Grand Admiral’s flag?

Hi all, I’m new to the field of militaria. I’m posting some pictures of what I believe is a grand admiral’s flag. My grandfather was stationed in Kiel after the war helping to dismantle U-boat pens, and he brought this back. I presume this type of flag would have been flown on ships when the grand admiral was aboard. There’s no writing on it indicating manufacture date or anything. Curious if anyone may be able to shed more light on it.

Grand Admiral’s flag?Grand Admiral’s flag?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grand Admiral’s flag?
    P
    Many

Looks like it may stand a chance... should have a header with maker stamps/size etc, but that may have been cut off....

?

This is a photo of mine size .50/.50 marked. Also shows different reinforced stiching. Eagle feathers are also just little rounder on your example.

I wish I had a better photo of mine but thats all I have on my phone. Hopefully it helps for comparison. Is yours size 50/50. The reinforcements make me leary. I'm sure someone will know for sure though.

Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grand Admiral’s flag?  

Hi, thanks both for responding. My flag is 57 inches on the long edge and 52 width. I guess it not being exactly square would be accounted for if the left edge had been trimmed off. I’ve also attached some more pics of the reinforced stitching. There’s a rough repair on the lower left corner. It also does look quite old with stains and a couple of additional rough patches. My grandfather apparently brought it back from Kiel. He was a lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Engineers and was sent immediately after the war to help demolish the u-boat pens there. I first remember seeing it in my grandfathers attic in 1980 when I was seven. Based on my family history, I would be surprised if it wasn’t authentic, but that wouldn’t be a first Let me know if there’s any other closeups that would help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grand Admiral’s flag?   Grand Admiral’s flag?  

Grand Admiral’s flag?   Grand Admiral’s flag?  

?

I like the material and the pattern is super close. If yours is 57 inches it's different size then mine. Mine is 50 cm. Not sure what sizes these came in bit I'm sure you can search forum to find out.

Very likely yours is just a repaired original without the side support and rope. I like the pattern.

Tim

I agree with Tim, looks like a nice original piece that has been slightly trimmed down....

Thanks again both for taking a look and giving your insights. Having a resource like this to post questions is invaluable.