Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to Display a ww2 flag while preserving it in a display case?

Article about: Have question? I have an old ww2 vehicle identification flag it has 4 grommets in total 2 on the left side. One on the bottom left and top left. and 2 grommets on the right side. One on the

Post How to Display a ww2 flag while preserving it in a display case?

Have question? I have an old ww2 vehicle identification flag it has 4 grommets in total 2 on the left side. One on the bottom left and top left. and 2 grommets on the right side. One on the top right and bottom left. How could I put this I.D flag into a display case safely without damaging the flag? or potentially the flag fall collapsing in the case while framed? I've heard some say sew it onto a piece of wood or glue the flag but that would damage/ruin it? should I use the grommets to my advantage or have the flag sealed tight in-between two layers of wood? Any thoughts or ideas on how to do this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to Display a ww2 flag while preserving it in a display case?
    P
    Many

Marko,

As a museum professional I would not suggest any type of glue or wood to mount the flag. This is very dangerous, and you won't be able to reverse the damage once done. Wood may contain bugs and the glues will stain the flag. You could use the grommets and sew the flag to an archival mounting board, but the drooping risk is still there with the center of the flag.

The preferred method of mounting flags is known as pressure mounting. This is a process that is used in many museums.

Research pressure mounting and hire a professional that can do the work.

Textile Mounts - Spicer Art Conservation

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Marko,

As a museum professional I would not suggest any type of glue or wood to mount the flag. This is very dangerous, and you won't be able to reverse the damage once done. Wood may contain bugs and the glues will stain the flag. You could use the grommets and sew the flag to an archival mounting board, but the drooping risk is still there with the center of the flag.

The preferred method of mounting flags is known as pressure mounting. This is a process that is used in many museums.

Research pressure mounting and hire a professional that can do the work.

Textile Mounts - Spicer Art Conservation

Smitty
    Okay thank you so much ive been trying to figure it out but this post really helped me I will see what I can do.