Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SA Sturmfahne

Article about: Hi gents, been on the hunt for a nice example of a Sturmfahne and came across this one. Early flag, static swastika, corner patch Sturm/Standarte 16/22, black for Berlin-Brandenburg? What se

Default SA Sturmfahne

Hi gents, been on the hunt for a nice example of a Sturmfahne and came across this one. Early flag, static swastika, corner patch Sturm/Standarte 16/22, black for Berlin-Brandenburg? What seems odd is the seller says it seems to be an Ehrenfahne, and you can see the chain stitching in red on the bottom left-hand corner. The seller states it reads "SA STURM K. EHRENFELD 1931". Seems odd - why "SA STURM"? Sort of "funny" that there's the name "Ehrenfeld" on an "Ehrenfahne", no? Also, the only few examples of actual SA honor flags I've seen had the name of the fallen put rather prominently on the banner, not stitched so subtly. I intend to ask for more detailed pictures, but would like to know from one of our resident SA relic gurus if it's even worth my time to delve further into this one. One-million thanks for any assistance.

-DF

SA Sturmfahne
    SA Sturmfahne
    SA Sturmfahne
    SA Sturmfahne
    SA Sturmfahne
    SA Sturmfahne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Sturmfahne
    P
    Many

I like it.

Standarte 16 was located many places, but on my knowledge, not in Berlin.

Gruppe Niederrhein is one of those and standarte 16 located at in Köln Gruppe Niederrhein, note the patch has a gold piping like gruppe Niederrhein colors should be.
    In Köln is borough named Ehrenfeld, so I believe "K" represent city Köln.

In my opinion it is really nice and interesting flag.
    -TJ-

Quote by Finngaill View Post
    I like it.

Standarte 16 was located many places, but on my knowledge, not in Berlin.

Gruppe Niederrhein is one of those and standarte 16 located at in Köln Gruppe Niederrhein, note the patch has a gold piping like gruppe Niederrhein colors should be.
    In Köln is borough named Ehrenfeld, so I believe "K" represent city Köln.

In my opinion it is really nice and interesting flag.
    Yes! This is excellent detective work. You've managed to provide, I think, even more accurate information than the current owner was able to. I'd wager Standarte 16 at Köln, Ehrenfeld is a much more likely story than the chain stitching referring to an individual on an honor flag.

I've requested further and more detailed pictures, so we'll see if they respond. Hoping they do, and I'll post them here.

Thanks again!

Happy to help.

Waiting to see more photos, I really like that flag
    -TJ-

Here we have a local friend from Köln

Credit Weitze

SA Sturmfahne SA Sturmfahne
    -TJ-

Finngail is spot-on.

The flag is from Standarte 16 located in Köln [Cologne], which belonged to the SA group Niederrhein [Lower Rhine]. The colors of this SA group where black with white numbers and golden buttons & piping, which matches the corner patch.

The flag is a „normal“ SA Sturmfahne, not a SA honor flag [Ehrenfahne].

„K.Ehrenfeld“ means „Köln-Ehrenfeld“ and Ehrenfeld is - still today- a district of Cologne. Most likely the Sturm 22 of the SA Standarte 16 was located there.

BTW … the flag was a few years ago for sale at a dealers site for $1950. Already there it was wrongly offered as „Ehrenfahne“.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Sturmfahne  

Thanks to all who helped me with this, but once again (as seems to be my luck lately) the flag had been sold.

Well... the hunt continues.

Once more, thank you to all, and this if nothing else was a great learning experience with some terrific information in this thread. May it help others in the future!

-DF

It was fun to make some research work, even outcome was that flag had sold already.

The hunt continues and who knows if this flag pop up back to market after some time
    -TJ-

SA Sturmfahnen are not that rare. Patience will be rewarded sooner or later
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Sturmfahne  

Quote by ivbaust View Post
    SA Sturmfahnen are not that rare. Patience will be rewarded sooner or later
    True enough, but I did rather like the static swastika on this early example. I do, however, have my eye on a couple more Sturmfahnen, but I'll make a new thread for each.

Thank you, again!