Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend

Article about: Watching Witts down in the cellar unboxing I got a shock! This item was in my collection for near 20 years. I acquired it from Steve Wolfe. It was displayed in my collection room and eventua

Default Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend

Watching Witts down in the cellar unboxing I got a shock!

This item was in my collection for near 20 years. I acquired it from Steve Wolfe. It was displayed in my collection room and eventually traded to the late Bob Coleman (RIP Bob) along with the SS Abschnitt XVII flag I posted once before in comparing to an SS Abschnitt fender pennant.

When Bob passed away I often thought about what happened with his enormous collection. i have a mutual acquaintance of Bobs who dealt with Bob with Samurai swords as Bob had a lot of interest and collected them. Won't go into details of any of it but I never knew who handled to sale of his collection.

So here we see one item coming back onto the market and it's good to see.

The weave of the Adler on this banner is some of the heaviest I have seen and I believe it was done by machine with the stitcher obviously controlling the lay.

The trumpet banner is illustrated in Jill Halcombs book on the SA.

Hope you enjoy the images.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend   Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend  

Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend   Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend  

Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend  
    Last edited by Rich Moran; 03-31-2023 at 03:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shocker! Like Seeing an Old Friend
    P
    Many

?

That is really cool. I always like the stories of reappearing items. Thanks so much for the story and info.

Tim

?

Spectacular item
    Regards, Al

The issue with displaying it as it is now is the silk is tearing at the cloth straps bottom within the banner to tie to the horn.

That needs to be reinforced by taking the weigh off the 3 strap points and using 12# fishing line threaded along the width of the banner to the horn if the new buyer wants to display it with the horn as seen.

Of course, the correct way is to lay it flat.

And that's the problem with banners and flags, hang them from their sides or tops and the material gives way as it ages. Lay them flat and you have to be on top of it to enjoy it.

Still was great to see it again.

MAP
    ?

Beautiful piece!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is really beautiful banner. I bet it was hard to seperate from it
    -TJ-

Finngaill, no, not really. After having it for 20 years I thought I'd miss it but did not. With these things they are displayed for so long it becomes something that is a back ground physical item that you really do not notice like when it was newly displayed. 20 years is a long time!

Witt & company have it on consignment and are asking $4895.00 for it.

If anyone goes for it be sure to get the banner straps issue remedied if displaying it on the trumpet otherwise the silk backing will come apart and severely degrade the banner. Museums can do reversable silk stitching to the silk but the weight of the bullion needs full support to survive in the condition it's in now.

Rich,

Stunning piece.. It is sad to see Witt handling the trumpet and banner without any type of gloves on.. From a museum standpoint and not to mention the fact he smokes stogies like I eat pringles, (can't just have one) the second hand smoke on his person as well as the stains on his hands are sure to be detrimental to the brass and silk,

But I digress..

Again a stunning banner.

Best regards

Smitty