Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?

Article about: Good day, I would like to know your opinions if this flag is real. I recently sold this small flag. The buyer believes that the flag is not real. He says it has been very roughly finished, t

Default Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?

Good day,
    I would like to know your opinions if this flag is real.
    I recently sold this small flag. The buyer believes that the flag is not real. He says it has been very roughly finished, the edges have not been trimmed properly and the stitching seems fairly simple. He thinks it must be the old repro.
    I own several such flags made of flag chains (comes from a former winery in Bavaria). The flag is ultraviolet neutral, size approx. 29x18 cm, the swastika mirrors are sewn on both sides.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Greetings Panzer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?
    P
    Many

photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?   Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?  

Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?   Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?  

Here are some photos of the other flag from this chain. Maybe these photos are more detailed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?   Small Swastika Flag - real or fake ?  

?

In my opinion it looks authentic and well represented by the B&W diagram in the paper. I would imagine these type of sting party banners would be classified as ephemera from a parade, festival or gathering. Yes they are somewhat crude but you wouldn't expect them to be of the highest quality, almost like a disposable party favor. The material looks right, the swastika's are symmetrical and they look fairly well made. Only the white circle has been left roughly trimmed. These were probably produced by the thousands for events. Just my opinion perhaps others could add more information.
    Regards, Al

I've seen many similar flags intended for parades and large gatherings before. Like Aldo said, these were practically meant to be disposable. These types of flags often exhibit quick, simple stitching and a printed swastika roundel. Could be wrong, but it looks legitimate to me.

Thank you!

I see no issues with this flag, or the others posted with the twine/string attachments.

I also concur with Aldo's and Der Funker's assessment.

Literally millions of these flags were mass produced and hung/displayed for events that the towns/cities hosted when Adolf Hitler and other high ranking NSDAP officials would have come through the towns and villages.

Period photographs in addition to the period article that you posted will confirm that these type of flags were used at parades and rallies throughout Nazi Germany.

I would have no problem adding one of these flags to my collection. In fact I am jealous that I don't have one of these smaller flags with the twine...

Smitty