Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly worked out

Article about: Hello I am new to this forum but have been in relic collecting hobby for near 15 years.My main area of focus is relics from the sixth Army that was trapped in the pocket adjacent to Stalingr

?

Default Stalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly worked out

Hello I am new to this forum but have been in relic collecting hobby for near 15 years.My main area of focus is relics from the sixth Army that was trapped in the pocket adjacent to Stalingrad.
    As the title of the post suggests I have watched as year by year the quality of dug up relics declines.

The point has been reached where most of the relics being found now are the flotsom of broken vehicle parts , helmets, tools, and other small items of metal that bear no resemblance to anything .Occasionally there is a really interesting find , but these are becoming increasingly a rare event.The golden days of relic finds in the kessel area are now a thing of the past.
    The are now many diggers with metal detectors scouring the region and areas were the Wehrmacht divisions once were located. These areas have been combed over many many times.
    I have spoken with a few diggers from Volgograd who agree that the Kessel is nearly worked out of any decent finds and that the days of just going out to dig and finding something of real interest and value are past.

So where does this leave Staling relic collecting. It is switching from the collecting of newly dug finds to the resale and purchase of items that collectors or dealers have been holding.
    It was inevitable that this would happen as the supply of original ground dug relics dries up. It also offers opportunities for the fakers to to step in to supply the market. The demand is still there .This is a not a good thing for the hobby as the market is flooded with fakes and prices rise. Just look at the fake pennants and signs being offered for sale on internet sites and Ebay.
    Just something to ponder.

I have attached pictures of two divisional metal pennants that I own.
    One is from the 24th Panzer division (leaping horse) that I purchased from a dealer in Arizona who had bought it from a digger Stalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outStalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outStalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outStalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked out around 15 years ago. Also I purchased a ground dug Bronze leaping horse from a digger who found it at the positions of the 24 PZ DV. It is solid bronze and has a hole in it where I presumed it was affixed to something , maybe a door at Div HQ. It looks fantastic.
    The metal pennant has bullet holes in it.
    The second is a Metal pennat from the 371st Inf Div. I purchased it from the digger. it was found near the village of Peschanka at the positions of the 371st Inv Div.

I fear that the days of really good relics being found by digging in the Stalingrad Kessel Stalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outStalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outStalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outStalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked outare drying up fast.

Regards
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad kessel mother lode is nearly  worked out
    P
    Many

I don't want to say it, but these scream "Stalingrad front.com" relic signs....

MAP
    ?

Very nice Mark. Thanks for sharing.

You certainly are correct about the load of fake relics. We see it all the time here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello Mr Morris.
    The large 24 pz div was found long (years before) Stalingrad front was created on the net.
    Obviously you don't have a clue on rusted metal signs
    Mark.

MAP
    ?

Gents....Let's focus on the items.

While I do not collect relics and am not in a position of authenticating them, I can understand a bit of skepticism from members as we have seen time and again the large number of fakes out there.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Yes you are correct there are large amounts of fakes out there.
    But after just having described that I have been collecting ground dug relics for 15 years and having told the provenance of the signs I was very surprised by Mr Norris comments.

Look closely at the pennants photos. Enlarge them . Look at the metal posts that the pennants are attached to. Are they old or newly aged. They speak for themselves
    Look closely at the paint that remains on the signs. The paint is crazed with age. It is not newly faked.
    Look closely at the rust pitting on the signs and the bullet holes. They are not newly faked. The rust is real rust that has taken decades to form not just a chemical reaction rust that you see on newly faked signs.
    On the other side of the pennants that you cannot see there is hardly any paint left, only rust . Due to that side of the pennant facing the surface of the ground and hasbeen more exposed to moisture than the other side.

I have seen tons of fakes. I am 100 % sure these are originals.
    I do not care if others call them fakes. They are original. 100%

Mark.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Mark.

All I'm saying to everyone is keep to the discussion on the item.

If your coil passes over and item and you dig it you find it. Targets can also be missed or ignored but you would be surprised at what still gets found even in places that are said to be "clear" of targets.