Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Standarte or Flag - Thoughts?

Article about: Hi, Friends. I've got one here for your observations, guesses and educated opinions. Firstly, the pictures are terrible, yes. I'm currently seeking some better ones and some close-ups, but w

Default Unknown Standarte or Flag - Thoughts?

Hi, Friends. I've got one here for your observations, guesses and educated opinions. Firstly, the pictures are terrible, yes. I'm currently seeking some better ones and some close-ups, but with what's provided, can anyone identify this type of flag/standard? Hopefully I'll have better photos soon. Observations:

1.) From the (bad) pics, the swastika seems to be printed, not stitched like often seen on SA Standarten, for example

2.) Size is roughly 122x132cm, so pretty normal Standarte size

3.) The corner patch reads "Billw. Ausschlag" - Billwärder Ausschlag in Hamburg, I guess?

4.) The corner patch is solid white with black chain-stitched lettering, no border on the patch it seems. Not familiar with this.

5.) Typical 1934-and-after style silver fringe looks appropriate for a Standarte, but I can't identify this flag as such

6.) The rings have been cut away, but there are 7 pieces of attachment material remaining in the correct places they would be for a Standarte

The seller thinks this is an SA "Garrison flag", but I'm not sure what they mean by that, nor have a seen a flag like this one. Thoughts, folks? If this can be identified as having potential for being a genuine flag, I'm definitely curious to know what it was.

A million thanks, as always!

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Standarte or Flag - Thoughts?
    P
    Many

Not a garrison flag as the flags ties are too weak for outdoor use.

During the era flags were made for any and every purpose, even companies that produced goods had flags made for their common areas as well as offices. This could even have been used in the towns mayors or civil administrators office but unlikely because of the rondel and harkenkreuz being printed and not embroidered as is commonly seen for higher up politicians and their offices. When you consider the layers of political office in existence during the era, and even a towns band had flags made and typically these were heavy duty embroidered items, it could of been used for any a number of things, from offices to events.

It would be good to get close ups of the hardware/straps used to mount the flags as well as close up of how the fringe is made and attached as well as the corners and how they are reinforced.

Thanks, Rich! All good points, and I believe you're right - it'll be difficult to pin this flag down to any one specific use. Since I found this item though, I have been going through hundreds of pictures of interest that I've saved over the years, and found one I had tagged with SA that shows, according to the caption attached to the photo, an "SA March in Konigsberg, 1934" (take that for what its worth of course, I don't know if that caption is accurate). You can see they look to be marching with something similar, but due to the quality of the photo, that's a bit of a longshot to say these flags are similar. But they do appear to have a light colored corner-patch that could be similar. See the upper right-hand corner of the photo for my (crude) attempt at enhancing the patches.

Thanks again!

-DF

The Billwerder Ausschlag (formerly also: Billwärder Ausschlag) is a river island in the Lower Elbe in Hamburg, to the right of the main stream, the Norderelbe. The flag is period, that's for sure. Its construction corresponds to a typical party flag, such as those used for SA, NSDAP and NSBO ​​flags. The seven fastenings also speak for this. These flags always had seven rings. As far as I know, there were no SA garrison flags. At least I have never heard of them. I also think it is unlikely that a garrison was stationed on a small island near the port of Hamburg. Especially since the SA did not even have the term "garrison". I have to admit that I am a bit confused about this flag.

Note the heavy mounting hardware (heavier than the subject banner/flag) for mounting to a staff or pole. With Sammlers reply it is easy to understand why the confusion because like him, I am too. perhaps the marine SA had a contingent there but I'd think there would be something on this banner to identify that. Anyones guess what it was used for.

I would think that flag is NSBO, I had seen before white tag on NSBO flag.

Here is photo of one example what I have saved from WRF or WAF:

Unknown Standarte or Flag - Thoughts? Unknown Standarte or Flag - Thoughts?

Marching mens on that photo are not SA members, they are PL/NSBO, note the rank tabs and black ties
    -TJ-

Quote by Finngaill View Post
    I would think that flag is NSBO, I had seen before white tag on NSBO flag.

Marching mens on that photo are not SA members, they are PL/NSBO, note the rank tabs and black ties
    Good catch! I was taking a closer look at this photo after I posted it and noticed the dark ties, breeches and belt buckles, and also figured NSBO. I think the Kepi caps threw me off, but I believe you can occasionally see early NSBO pics of the men wearing tan SA style Kepis.

As for the flag you posted, it's nice to finally see an example of an NSBO flag with a white patch - this is excellent reference material, thanks! I've seen references to NSBO flags having both white and black background patches, but it's nice to finally see an actual example.

This flag seems slightly less mysterious now - good stuff!