Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

BoB period Mg15 relic.

Article about: For the past couple of weeks I have been working on a relic Mg15 flexible machine gun which was recovered (in the 1970's) from the wreckage of a German bomber shot down over Kent in 1940. Al

Which one is that? And I should have added that the top picture is of the replica.

No, I've never seen or even heard of that film. But it doesn't sound as though its about the actual gun though. Curiously enough, the 08/15 was still in use at the outbreak of WW2. It was considered to be the heaviest light machine-gun ever made - heavier in fact than the Vickers machine-gun.

german to english - Meaning of 0815 and ger/eng alternatives? - German Language Stack Exchange
    The title of the film comes from German slang for average or nothing special, i gather the film title meant they were just run of the mill soldiers!...

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I parted with this gun just recently!
    I could cry like a baby..

Quote by Panzerheld View Post
    I could cry like a baby..
    It would have looked nice alongside your JU88 panel! Why not dig a trench in your garden and use the 08/15?

Default Hi, i am about to prchase an MG15 and start renovation project. Missing bakellite part of course. You wrote in your post tat had managed to purchase one in Latvia. Can You share a cont

Hi, i am about to prchase an MG15 and start renovation project. Missing bakellite part of course. You wrote in your post tat had managed to purchase one in Latvia. Can You share a cont

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    For the past couple of weeks I have been working on a relic Mg15 flexible machine gun which was recovered (in the 1970's) from the wreckage of a German bomber shot down over Kent in 1940. All details of the actual aircraft have been lost, but the gun was excavated by a prolific wreck-hunter during the 1970's/80's. Upon his death some time ago the gun was acquired by another collector - and then sold on to a dealer of such junk. The magazine was not recovered with the gun - the magazine dating from 1943.

The pistol grip/trigger guard are missing, items which I hope to replace at a future date. If anyone on the forum has such an item, please get in touch if you wish to sell. The Bakelite receiver cover was also gone, but I was fortunate enough to locate a modern copy in Latvia. The receiver has a slight bend upwards and to the right. The magazine housing is bent inwards on the right side, and the barrel was rotatable and free inside the receiver, it has since been pinned to stop it rotating. I suspect that the collar inside the receiver which the barrel screws in to was dislodged on impact. The bolt is also seized or jammed - probably because of the distortion to the receiver. The gun is currently an ongoing partial restoration project. I did try filling in the worst of the pitting with a mixture of two part epoxy resin and fine iron granules mixed into a paste. But when it came to sanding down the filler today, it rapidly became apparent that it was a total waste of time. I am still toying with the idea of whether I should treat the metal, but I have always preferred (in the past) to use a beeswax-based cream furniture polish liberally applied with a cloth. Click on pictures to enlarge

Cheers,
    Steve.

Attachment 927832Attachment 927833Attachment 927834Attachment 927835Attachment 927836Attachment 927837Attachment 927838Attachment 927839Attachment 927840Attachment 927841Attachment 927842Attachment 927843Attachment 927844Attachment 927845

I would love to be able to help you, but I cannot even remember the name of the website where I made the purchase. I do recall though, that it was the only one they had. It was also made of resin, and not that strong. I wish you well with your restoration.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thank You.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2