Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Cockpit of a Lancaster called Old Fred.

Article about: Hi, the following pics are off a cockpit/front end only of a Lancaster called Old Fred. These are the only remains. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...vro_Lancasters

?

Great pics! A relative of mine was a Flight Engineer on a Lancaster (P3-903), the whole crew were unfortunately killed just four weeks before the war ended.

Took brave men to go up in these things. Not an enviable job.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Great pics, cheers for the share! I remember this from when I went to London earlier in the year, (I don't know what it was once like, but I was impressed with the scale of the V-2 a lot bigger than I thought!) flying a Lancaster in a raid raid was a job for brave men

I used to work with a bloke who was Wop/Navigator in Lancs from 1942 onwards. He was based at RAF Spilsby, and he once told me a story of a raid they were to carry out on Berlin. The planes from the various squadrons used to get in formation over Skegness pier in daylight before heading out to target. He looked across to his best fiend's Lanc and it just erupted in a huge ball of flame, the bomb load had gone off prematurely.

?

The experience of being on a Lancaster is well demonstrated at the Australian War Memorial. They do a sound ad light show about a Berlin raid that G for George participated in. Also in the WW2 gallery is a simulation of the interior of a Lancaster on a raid that resulted in the loss of the aircraft. A must do if you are ever in sunny (if you don't visit in winter) Canberra.

Quote by BungB View Post
    The experience of being on a Lancaster is well demonstrated at the Australian War Memorial. They do a sound ad light show about a Berlin raid that G for George participated in. Also in the WW2 gallery is a simulation of the interior of a Lancaster on a raid that resulted in the loss of the aircraft. A must do if you are ever in sunny (if you don't visit in winter) Canberra.
    Any links to that BungB? sounds quite interesting..

Whats with the occiliscope looking thing next to the radio set?
    Didnt think ww2 lancs were so equipped?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

If not already posted elsewhere, this is well worth watching. A bombing raid from start to finish with Lancaster's from RAF Hemswell in Lincolnshire - 1944. This base is just down the road from where I was stationed at Kirton in Lindsey in the early 70's. The base is now the home of antiques dealers.

Lancaster on Bombing Raid in 1944 -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2