Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Do I have a Unicorn?

Article about: Hello all I thought I was getting a run of the mill 41 Carcano in a routine trade ... But the more I look at this thing the less I understand about it? I can't find anything like it online s

Default Do I have a Unicorn?

Hello all

I thought I was getting a run of the mill 41 Carcano in a routine trade ... But the more I look at this thing the less I understand about it? I can't find anything like it online so far ... Granted I am mostly internet challenged in a short bus sort of way ...

I am going to post some pics of the markings on it ...

It has a Crown where the makers mark usually sits ... and no date I could decipher ... not even a Era Fascista date code except "maybe" on the firing pin?

I know there were "Kings Guard" rifles issued but I am assuming they were much more decorative than this otherwise mundane piece?

If anyone knows anything about rifle I am desperately curious to learn more about it's story!

Do I have a Unicorn?

Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?Do I have a Unicorn?

Crown with star and without years and name (FAT) is the marking of the arsenal 'Terni' from the year 1943

Mannlicher-carcano gewehr 1891/41

Why Does My Carcano Rifle has Made In Italy stamped:Why Does My Carcano Rifle has Made In Italy stamped on the receiver - YouTube

PRE
    ?

This would get much more exposure in the Firearms sub-forum here. As stahlhelm16 noted, the crown shows that it was made at the Terni arsenal in 1943 or later. Providing the serial number would allow me to narrow that somewhat.

The 'Made in Italy' stamp is a dead giveaway that this one was refurbished to some extent after the war and then imported. Carcanos without this stamp are either bring-backs, early imports shipped prior to the stamping requirements, or are import marked in another way/location. I'm assuming by the way you described the acquisition that you're in the US, so those circumstances apply to US collectors.

Pat

Quote by PRE View Post
    This would get much more exposure in the Firearms sub-forum here.
    Pat
    Moved to the Firearms section for better exposure.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Nice rifle. Your rifle is the standard Fuscile Modello M91/41 and I agree with with most of the above info. The Mannlicher and gewehr part of the name listed in post #3 is not part of the official designation. Your rifle uses a en bloc clip that was originally designed by Mannlicher and is similar.
    Many of the rifles were surplus into the US in the 60's and 70's. A new large batch of mixed models was also brought in a couple of years ago.
    John