Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Gallipoli War ww1 British

Article about: I tried to identify the bullets. Do you agree? from the battle of Gallipoli ww1 ? ( I saw KN and VII from last photo) I need more informations this shells. Thanks

Question Gallipoli War ww1 British

I tried to identify the bullets. Do you agree? from the battle of Gallipoli ww1 ? ( I saw KN and VII from last photo) I need more informations this shells. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli War ww1 British   Gallipoli War ww1 British  

The Mk2 is a MkVI Ball. I wonder if it originates with a Commonwealth Unit? The British had some in service in 1914 but it was supposed to have been gone by Feb 1915. Mk VI did not work well in the SMLE so it's presence there is interesting.

R

Are right side bullets is true Mark VII?

Yes they appear to be. What are the base stampings if any?

I saw "KN" and "VII" right side shell

KN is - Kings Norton Metal Co. Ltd, Abbey Wood, Kent, UK. The VII for MkVII.

Some of the New Zealand units who landed on the Gallipoli peninsular carried Magazine Lee Enfield Mk1* rifles (Long Lee's) for a while before being replaced by the SMLE.
    I'll hazard a guess that they were still using some MkVI cartridges in their Long Lee's during the first days of the landings.
    The location where it was found would be of some help.

Chops, Correct the Long Lee does not use the MkVII so the MkVI is required.

R

To illustrate that particular point; photo of newly arrived Otago reinforcements in the trenches at Quinn's Post, June 1915.

Gallipoli War ww1 British

The Long Lee Enfield was converted to the CLLE Mk1 & Mk1* and remained in service with the British army in France until about 1917. The Kings Liverpool Regiment went 'over the top' armed with them on July 1st 1916. The Mk1 was converted to take the MkVII ammunition in September 1914, and the Mk1* in October 1914... all rifles being stamped with HV just forward of the rear sight. My own example of the CLLE is one of those that was not converted to the MkVII.

Below is a picture of the Kings Liverpool regiment on the Somme with their CLLE's, and a picture of my somewhat battered example of what is now a quite rare rifle.

Cheers,
    Steve

Gallipoli War ww1 BritishGallipoli War ww1 British